What Makes the Micro Center Service Department so Special?

Options

Written by @TreBouncee

Micro Center’s Knowledge Bar is a core piece of our identity. From repairs to upgrades and everything in between, our technicians are skilled enough to navigate the difficult environment of tech repair with efficiency. I’ve had the pleasure of working at the Rockville location and getting an up-close look at the day-to-day life of a service technician. These folks work extremely hard to manage repair requests, offer solutions like ESET and MCA plans, and, of course, repair customer PCs, laptops, and all sorts of electronic devices.

Recently, I had the opportunity to shadow a member of the team and get a better idea of how the Service Team works. While I had seen the Knowledge Bar operate from a distance, I had never seen the ins-and-outs of the service department. The experience gave me a whole new perspective on the unseen side of the Micro Center stores and how repairs work.

Mishtak S. is one of Rockville’s newer technicians and one of the folks I got to shadow. That day he had a Build and Learn with a young man named Ramsey. Ramsey was very interested in the details of each part of the build and what they did. Mishtak took the time to answer every question thoroughly and gave Ramsey the confidence to take the reins midway through the build process and finish the PC himself. Mishtak acted as overseer and teacher while allowing Ramsey to get hands on. These types of experiences are not uncommon with the techs. Their expertise is a large reason their department is revered the way it is and moments like this create lifelong tech enthusiasts.

Of course, it’s not just Build and Learns. We see plenty of builds, rebuilds, and upgrades on a daily basis. Rockville technician Travis R. worked with a Mr. Zachary to execute an upgrade. Zachary was looking to upgrade his mother board, CPU and graphics card. Travis used the original build as a visual aid while answering Zachary’s questions, explaining exactly why he was doing what he was doing. Being able to point out a specific part and explain why that upgrade was a worthwhile one made the experience all the better for Zachary. That one-on-one process earned Travis a great review and Travis happily left with a I9-13900k + Gigabyte 4090.

Working at the Knowledge Bar, you’ll encounter your fair share of folks frustrated with their PCs. People typically come there perturbed by a situation out of their control and rely on our expertise to help right the ship. Rockville Technician Daniel P. handled a situation like this while I was shadowing him. We had a computer come in that required extreme repair. The person had spilled coffee on her mother’s machine and the cost to repair was, unfortunately, higher than replacing it with a new machine. After breaking the bad news, Daniel took the opportunity to suggest the next machine she buy be equipped with a Micro Center Accidental Protection Plan so that if that an accident, like a coffee spill, happens she would be covered and wouldn’t incur any out-of-pocket cost.

Daniel then walked her to the Apple department where they were met by a salesperson. Daniel explained the situation succinctly, stating that she may need data transfer and setup services. From there, the salesperson was able to find the right machine that met all her needs and was within her budget. She then headed back to Daniel to ring up the new MacBook. Later that day the, she received her new computer with all of her data transferred over, as well as ESET, a new backup drive and a 3-year accidental damage plan, just in case. What could have been a really rough day turned into a bright day with a new computer and no loss of data thanks to Daniel and the Apple associate. (Plus, protection in case another spill happens!)

Experiences like these are what makes Micro Center’s Knowledge Bar and Service Center so well known. We strive every day to provide the best possible care and service, working one-on-one to solve issues and provide the best possible customer service. The high quality of technicians in our service department makes experiences like these an everyday occurrence. Whether a customer needs to upgrade their build, had an accident, or just needs guidance, they can trust the service department at Micro Center to provide the solutions they need in a friendly, helpful manner.

Comments

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99