Thoughts on gaming PC build?

Options

Hello everyone,

My current PC is about 9 years old and it's time for me to upgrade. I really don't know much about building a PC. It would be very nice to get some insight from experienced people on a build I've chosen before I lock into anything.

Primary Use: Gaming

Budget: $2,000.00

CPU: Ryzen 7, 7800x3d

Motherboard: MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk WiFi

RAM: No idea, how to choose the correct RAM sooo... Corsair Vengeance LPX 64gb (2X32)

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT

SSD: 980 Pro SSD 2TB M.2/NVMe

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 Watt ATX

Heatsink: DeepCool AK400 Performance CPU Cooler + Lian Li Unifan P28 Fluid Dynamic Bearing 120mm case fan 3 pack

Thermal Compound: Does brand matter?

Case: The seemingly ever so common Corsair 4000D Airflow 

Is there something here you would change? Is the RAM compatible? Is the cooling sufficient? Would you change the motherboard? Please, share your thoughts. Thanks! 

Comments

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    edited October 2023
    Options

Greetings,

Can you provide links to the items you were looking at or a build list from https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx

Based on the general idea of parts you have listed, it all looks fine, you'd want to verify for the RAM if you have an AM5 motherboard picked out that you are selecting DDR5 RAM.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    Options

The 7800X3D may be a bit hot for the AK400, please consider the AS500 or AK620 models instead. You might get by on the 400 but it's better to have a little too much cooling power than not enough. At your budget level I think you should not skimp on the cooler.

Most coolers come with pre-applied paste. You should ask at the store when picking it up if that's the case with the Deep Cool brand. I think they do but don't rely on that.

As already mentioned, make sure you get DDR5 type memory.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99