Cannot Connect XBox or Desktop to Wifi, Any Suggestions???

Options

I have an Xbox and a Power Spec desktop that will not connect to the internet via Wifi or ethernet cable. I previously was using a 4 year old gateway modem router combo and about 4 weeks ago the computer and Xbox would no longer connect to internet. From other conversations I was told to upgrade my Modem and router, I did this over the past weekend and once set up was complete connection problems were solved. However the next day neither unit would connect again.

I can connect each unit using the hotspot from my iPhone and I have 10+ devices that are connected to the Wifi currently with no issues.

I can see the wifi networks on each device but neither will connect when selected.\

Thanks

Answers

• Zuua
    Options

Are both the units in question trying to connect to the old network since you've upgraded the router and modem? If that's not the case try using a usb WiFi dongle on the PC because it is possible that the drivers need updating or reinstalling

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Mill_Pool_01

Internet problem, so we need to work it back to the source. Check the IP on the system.

1. Type cmd.exe and open command prompt.
    2. Type: ipconfig

Check your IPv4 address. If its' 169.254 you have a LAN issue. Check your cables/drivers. Though since you just replaced it, I'd bet this will be a normal IP. Connect to the Gateway and we need to find the WAN IP. This could be under status, but really depends on the brand. Please provide the brand and model of your modem/router.

• Mill_Pool_01
    Options

I did the ipconfig and its 192.168.xxx which is consistent with all others

The WAN IP on the router is 216.186.xxx.xxx Router --ASUS RT-AX5400 Modem __ Arris Surfboard SB8200v3

• Mill_Pool_01
    Options

I was reading to perform a release and renew and received this message:

Is this anything?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Mill_Pool_01

Sounds like it can't even connect to your Gateway. If you're using ethernet, check the port and see if the LED's are lit. If they're out, you've got a bad ethernet cable. What's WIFI say when you try to connect?

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99