BUILD HELP: Overkill/Future-proof ~$5000 PC

Options
Kyna4
Kyna4
edited November 2023 in Help Choosing Parts

Hi! I know very little about PC hardware, so bear with me here. I am a content creator looking for a very high-end build that will have no problem running pretty much anything content creation or gaming-related. Money is not an issue, happy to spend $5000 on this build.

Here is the current parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R36wkJ -- (can't post direct links sorry lol)

Additional things to note:

• GPU: I was able to grab an RTX 4090 FE for MSRP this morning before it sold out.
  • CPU: I understand that the 14900k is similar to the 13900k, but it's only $30 more so I don't mind getting it. Went with Intel because they're supposedly better for a mix of gaming and productivity than AMD.
  • CASE: Was debating between the Lian Li O11 Case or the 7000D case. Aesthetically, Lian Li wins for me, but obviously the 7000D Airflow case would be better for cooling. If you don't think the Airflow would make much of a difference, then I'd probably want to go for the O11 case. Need something large enough to fit the 4090 and 420mm AIO as well as with a ton of USB ports
  • MEMORY/RAM: I understand that 128 GB of RAM is overkill, but I'd rather have something that's future-proof and anything to speed up render times for editing or Unreal 3D animation is a plus for me.
  • PSU: PC Part Picker estimates 982W for the build, so I figured I'd give a bit of a buffer and get a 1200W PSU for safety.
  • AESTHETICS: I would love to have my PC look something similar to these, hence the additional case fans (more info below the pictures):

What will you be doing with this PC? Be as specific as possible, and include specific games or programs you will be using.

• Mainly editing, gaming, Unreal Engine game production and 3D animation, VR, Photoshop, etc. I'm also a film student, so I work with 6k braw footage occasionally.

What is your maximum budget before rebates/shipping/taxes?

• None. This is a business investment so money isn't an issue for this build.

When do you plan on building/buying the PC? Note: beyond a week or two from today means any build you receive will be out of date when you want to buy.

• Hopefully within the next few weeks.

What, exactly, do you need included in the budget? (Tower/OS/monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc\)

• Everything apart from external things. I have a mouse, headset, monitors, keyboard, etc.

Which country (and state/province) will you be purchasing the parts in? If you're in US, do you have access to a Microcenter location?

• California, US, and yes

If reusing any parts (including monitor(s)/keyboard/mouse/etc), what parts will you be reusing? Brands and models are appreciated.

• ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM 1440p 240hz 0.3ms OLED Monitor
  • ASUS VG248QE 24" 1080p 144Hz 1ms Monitor
  • ASUS VX248H 24" 1080p 60hz 1ms Monitor
  • Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse
  • Corsair K70 Keyboard
  • Logitech Bluetooth Arctis Pro Wireless Headset

Will you be overclocking? If yes, are you interested in overclocking right away, or down the line? CPU and/or GPU?

• I don't know much about overclocking, but from what I can tell, the 14900k runs really hot so most people undervolt (?)

Are there any specific features or items you want/need in the build? (ex: SSD, large amount of storage or a RAID setup, CUDA or OpenCL support, etc)

• Preferably a LOT of storage since I have many large recording files, games, etc. 4TB+ of internal SSDs would be awesome. I have plenty of external HDDs for archiving and whatnot, but I'd like the internal SSDs for the gaming and video projects I am currently working on. Preferably 2TB M.2 for OS, 4TB M.2 for project files, and 10 TB HDD for archive.

Do you have any specific case preferences (Size like ITX/microATX/mid-tower/full-tower, styles, colors, window or not, LED lighting, etc), or a particular color theme preference for the components?

• I don't really have any preferences besides the case being black and big enough to fit the 4090 FE and 420mm ARCTIS Liquid Freezer II AIO

Do you need a copy of Windows included in the budget? If you do need one included, do you have a preference?

• Nope

Questions I have about this build:

1. Will all of this fit in the 7000D or Lian Li O11 case?
  2. Would you be able to see the 10TB archive drive or would it be hidden? (for color reasons)
  3. Is an internal HDD archive drive even worth it when I have so many external ones (about 10 TB of external both SSD and HDD)?
  4. Do I need 6 case fans or is there not enough room? they’re mostly for aesthetic reasons
  5. Do I need RGB splitters or controllers to support the additional RGB fans? If it won’t work, should I get a Maximus z790 hero instead of the ProArt z790?
  6. Is everything compatible with each other? (in terms of both hardware and physical space)

Answers

• Vaganza
    Vaganza ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls 5 LOLs
    Options

My favorite case right now is the Lan Cool 216, they seem to have literally worked out all the bugs in that case. But I have build literally dozens of computers in the 011 Evo and understand the aesthetic there. I find that the 011 Evo to be a little easier to work in than the 7000D.

For the most part I'd say all this looks pretty good, I would get a look at the RAM amount though, see what you really need and keep it around that, there is a point where too much ram actually can create a bottleneck as it has to address larger chunks rewriting all of the registry when not necessary.

All of this will fit in the case, that case with what you have there will handle 10 fans easily, and if you go XL model, you can Push/Pull the radiator (fans on both sides) but in practical application it doesn't help all that much.

I do run a custom loop at home and find cooling performance better than an AIO mostly because I have 720 mm of radiator, but the pump is more powerful on a custom loop typically and the live span is going strong on mine. I know that wasn't a specific question you had buy looking at what you state your budget is, I find it useful to creep into that space.

Lian Li fans in that case can all run off a single Lian Li controller which used the USB header rather than ARGB header.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99