How's my build? Anything you would change?

Options

I'd appreciate any advice on the build listed below. Nothing is purchased yet. Am I missing any obvious issues? Should I consider something different? Any parts that could be a bottleneck?

I'm hoping this build will last me 5+ years at least, with a few upgrades along the way. I'll definitely upgrade the GPU at least once or twice, will add more RAM eventually, and might upgrade the NVMe drive? Hoping that I won't need to do much more than that before I'm ready to build a completely new one.

I only have 1080p res displays right now, but I want to have the option to game at 2k at least and possibly even 4k too with this build once I do get a 2K/4K monitor. VR capable would be great, not a deal breaker if its not.

Storage space is not an issue, don't need more drives. I've never had an NVMe SSD, so please tell me if I chose the wrong one or there's a better one. Not interested in liquid cooling, much prefer air cooling (seen too many leaks ruin my friend's expensive kit). Not planning to OC, just want a stable system with good performance and minimal problems. Always been an intel & nvidia guy, but not opposed to AMD.

To give you an idea of where I'm coming from: my current build is over 13 years old, and it's still using some original parts, including the ancient i7-950 that I installed back in 2010. Its so old and slow, that the arm cpu in my 4 year old android phone is apparently >40% faster than it according to passmark. Despite all that, it still works flawlessly, performing at tip top shape, even after 13 years of daily abuse, but its beyond time to take old yeller out back behind the barn and build something new.

My current specs to laugh at: i7-950, 12GB DDR3, GTX 980, Sabertooth x58, CM V8, 850 PRO 1TB, SS-750KM3, HAF X

Build - Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K ($379.99 EACH)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Pro X ($389.99 EACH)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR5-6400 ($209.99 EACH)

Video Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti ($859.99 EACH)

M.2 / NVMe SSD: Samsung 980 Pro SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe ($129.99 EACH)

Case: Lian Li Lancool 216 ($99.99 EACH)

Power Supply: Seasonic USA Vertex GX-1000 80 Plus Gold ($209.99 EACH)

Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 ($44.99 EACH)

Total: $2,324.92

(sorry can't post the link, first post)

Comments

• PowerSpec_Alex
    PowerSpec_Alex PowerSpec Engineer
    Name Dropper 5 Likes First Answer First Comment
    Options

Hello!

This is looking like a pretty nice system!

Your CPU is definitely going to be causing a bottleneck for your GPU at your current display settings but they're paired perfectly for use at 4K so that's perfect for your future plans and is definitely a good choice.

The Samsung 980 Pro is an amazing NVME drive and my personal preferred choice for storage. 👍️

Power Supplies usually come with longer warranties (usually 5-10 years) so it may be worth it to get an 1100 or 1200 watt PSU to make sure you've got everything you need for future upgrades. The one you chose should work great for the rest of the build though.

For the cooler, the Hyper 212 is a good budget cooler but your system would definitely benefit from something with some umph, especially since you want to avoid liquid cooling. Personally I use the Noctua NH-D15 and it works great for my 13900K. You could really get the best and splurge for the NH-D15S but it shouldn't be needed. I'm just afraid that the Hyper 212 isn't going to perform the best when gaming or other tasks under load and the CPU will end up throttling your processing speeds to bring temps down.

Everything else looks like a great build that should work for years to come!

I hope this helps!

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    edited December 2023
    Options

Rather than laugh at, your old system's specs tell me you bought top stuff back then. To continue this trend, you should really, really consider a decent cooler instead of the 212. The DeepCool AK500 or AK620 are good choices under $100 or that Noctua mentioned above is really top end.

Cases have come a long way since 2010. Check out something easy to work in like Corsair 5000D AF.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99