Brand new PC encountering unexplained frame stuttering

Options

Hey, I'm hoping someone here could help me diagnose a performance issue with my new PC. Not sure if it's hardware or software, but I've exhausted every troubleshooting suggestion I've found.

Ever since I built my new PC a week ago, I've encountered frequent frame stuttering on intensive games (notably Baldur's Gate, CS2 and bizarrely Deep Rock Galactic) with less frequent stuttering occurring on less intensive games, most notably after the program has been running for a decent chunk of time (Dead by Daylight, Wingspan, Hades, Risk of Rain 2). It feels as though the performance is being throttled or bottlenecked somehow, but my GPU, CPU and RAM are all being underutilized, with no temperature or voltage levels that should cause said throttling. I've toyed with just about every setting in Nvidia Control Panel, tuned my Windows settings to give me the best performance, and even tampered with my bios to find a solution, but to no avail. A couple fringe suggestions I've tried include lowering my mouse's refresh rate, switching from an HDMI to a Display Port cable to connect my monitor, and unplugging my PC's USB-3 ports from the motherboard. It's worth noting these stutters occur regardless of in-game graphics settings (the games I mentioned performed poorly at both ultra and low graphics).

PC Specs to help diagnose:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550MK

Processor: Ryzen AMD 9 5900X

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4070

Power supply: Thermaltake Smart BM3 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB SSD

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4

CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

And if they help at all for diagnostics, here's a series of graphs I compiled from a brief Baldur's Gate 3 session showing the massive frametime spikes I experienced alongside my underperforming CPU/GPU.

Thanks in advance to anyone looking into a fix.

Best Answer

• Zuua
    Zuua ✭✭
    First Answer Name Dropper Community Champion 5 Likes
    Answer ✓
    Options

Have you checked your drivers for all the components in your PC? Another possibility could be that if you're overclocking, some components can run fine and stock specs but be unstable when overclocked. A final solution would be to enable either XMP or EXPO on your ram kit to bring it to at the stated speed on the box. To check and or enable XMP or EXPO you'll need to go into your bios to change these settings.

Answers

• Nexxus
    Options

Drivers were one of my first fixes, and I've had XMP enabled since I installed my OS. I never overclocked my components myself, but I did a little digging and it turns out my bios enabled "turbo mode" for my CPU by default. Turning it off and reducing my CPU's voltage brought its clock speed below 3600 mHz and it's been running fine since. Thanks for the suggestion!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99