Advice in determining best fit between 2 gaming laptop models?

Options

Hi all!

My current laptop has been on its last legs for awhile and I decided that over the holidays I was going to take the time to research my options and finally get myself a new laptop for the new year. Over the last few days, I've done a crash course in researching specs and comparing costs, and I've narrowed things down to two models that Microcenter offers that I'm trying to decide between: the Lenovo Legion 5 and the ASUS TUF Gaming A15. I'm aware that there are nicer or more powerful models, but I'm aiming to spend around $1k or less, including an extended warranty.

For consideration: I'm more of a console gamer, but I have some friends that play games online like Deep Rock Galactic and I was recently gifted Baldur's Gate 3 over Steam. I'd like a laptop that can handle playing either of these games and being on a discord call, or potentially streaming over discord. I'm also a writer and often take my laptop with me places, so I'd want this to be reasonably portable and fit into an average-sized backpack. These will be its primary uses, but I'm hoping to also get into some casual photo or video editing in the future.

Right now, the specs seem pretty comparable so I'm torn between the two because the Lenovo seems to have a slightly better display, but the ASUS Tuf seems to be a lighter, more portable build. Anyone have any additional insight to help tip the scales? Thanks to anyone who responds!

Best Answer

• ronwoodson
    ronwoodson Store Associate
    5 Awesomes First Answer 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Answer ✓
    Options

Full disclosure, I'm a systems sales associate here at Micro Center in Mayfield Heights, Ohio. I would answer like this... Based on your requirements, both the Lenovo Legion 5 and the ASUS TUF Gaming A15 are strong contenders for your needs. They both offer good performance for gaming and multitasking, and they are both portable enough to carry around. However, there are some differences that might tip the scales for you.

In terms of performance, both laptops are quite comparable. They both have similar specs and can handle games like Deep Rock Galactic and Baldur's Gate 3. However, the ASUS TUF A15 has been noted to have slightly better performance in some cases. 

When it comes to portability, the ASUS TUF A15 is lighter by around 200 grams (0.44 lbs), which might make it a bit more comfortable to carry around. 

For multitasking, the ASUS TUF A15 has shown around 56% better multi-core CPU performance in the Cinebench R23 test. This could be beneficial when you're playing games and being on a Discord call or potentially streaming over Discord.

As for photo and video editing, both laptops should be able to handle casual editing tasks. However, the Lenovo Legion 5 has been noted to have a slightly better display, which might be beneficial for photo and video editing where color accuracy is important.

In terms of overall value for the budget, the ASUS TUF A15 seems to offer better value for money. It has been noted to be cheaper than the Lenovo Legion 5, and in many cases, it was the better laptop.

In conclusion, while both laptops would serve your needs well, the ASUS TUF A15 might be the better choice considering its slightly better performance, lighter weight, better multi-core CPU performance for multitasking, and better value for money. However, if display quality is a high priority for you, especially for photo and video editing, you might want to consider the Lenovo Legion 5.

I hope this helps 😁

Answers

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99