Found a tutorial that seems to address the concerns of cloning a laptop SSD. Should I follow it?

Options

So I have a Dell Latitude 3310, and while I do know from some time ago that it's possible to upgrade the SSD, I have heard that there's risks of blue screens and whatnot if you clone it, which is my main plan. While I do know that a clean install is usually the safest method, and that Dell has a way to reinstall the drivers that come with it (https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000183911/how-to-download-and-install-dell-drivers), I'm unsure if this has everything else needed for my laptop, though I haven't been able to check due to being out for holiday travel at the time of writing.

At the same time though, I have no critical data on the laptop that can't be backed up to an external, as in most cases I've used my laptop for school with an external HDD attached. So ultimately I can do either, but I'd want to try and safely clone first to reduce any potential hassle from a clean install. Helps that I've cloned a SATA SSD to a higher capacity one on my main PC and had no issues. These being M.2s/NVMEs however, I'd imagine it's not the exact same.

That said, I did find this video of this being done on another Dell laptop using Macrium Reflect, and its directions and use of the rescue media seems to contain a feature that seems to address the possible boot errors from cloning. The video can be found here:

I know it's a few years old but it at least shows it's not impossible. For that matter I'm still on Windows 10 on this laptop.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm willing to invest in a USB m.2 enclosure to carry this out. Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99