Questions regarding a couple of monitors I'm looking at... (Low to Middle price point)

Options

I am new to the forum. This seems like the appropriate place for this question and I did look around. I've been around forums before and I realize repeat questions are annoying. If this is in that category, my apologies.

I was in the Columbus Store yesterday and spoke with a rep for a while about an ASUS 34" 3440x1440 monitor (ASUS VG34VQL1B 34" 2K UWQHD). Today I found this monitor on the website for quite a bit less (Acer XZ342CU 34" QHD). The ASUS is $399 and the Acer is $299.

I don't have a problem spending the $400. However, I would love to only spend $300 as I also need a new graphics card. I just really don't understand all the numbers as the pertain to my usage. I'm looking at the specs on these monitors and they seem close enough for my needs to go with the Acer. The most glaring differences I noticed are:

ASUS= 165hz, 4000:1 NCR, 550cd/m2 brightness, HDR400,

Acer= 180hz, 3000:1 NCR, 400cd/m2 brightness,

I am currently running fairly old equipment (listed below). I built my system in 2015 and I've only added memory and put in a bigger hard drive. I use my computer for a lot of internet browsing, home recreation (pictures, music, budgeting, tv, movies/including a plex server). I also use it for gaming, but I'm not crazy about my usage or needs. I play some common games (GTAV and Red Dead) and as long as it's running decent (which it does), I am not disappointed with graphics or game play.

I want to upgrade to the bigger monitor with better graphics. I also want to get a new graphics card (another discussion) and I know I'll probably have to replace my MB and processor next year. I like to spend the money on something that will serve my needs well into the future. As you can see, my last set up lasted 8 years and it really isn't serving me poorly now.

So, just curious as to whether the Acer would be a good choice for my situation. If there are other options, feel free to let me know. I am fairly sure I want a 34" curved monitor.

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• Keetman
    Options
    Thank you Rye_bread.

As it turns out I was able to find a great deal on the Asus I linked, so I went with it.

I don't have to upgrade right now, I just saw the ultrawide monitor and really liked it.  I'm trying to find a balance between not over buying for my needs, but still getting components that will be enjoyable over the next 8-10 years.  Admittedly, I may be spoiled because of my experience with this last computer.   I've been buying pc's since 1993 and I've never had one last 8 years and certainly not had one still perform well in that frame of time.

The Asus gives me the impression it will meet my expectations.  I was just trying to save a buck.  I got it for less than the price of the Acer, so I think I'll be fine.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99