PC Upgrade

Options

Hello,

It's been about 6.5-7 years since I built my current PC. I'm looking at keeping as much hardware as I can to keep the price down, or at least spread the costs out over time. Currently I have

Asus ROG Crossfire VI Hero

AMD Ryzen 5 5600

EVGA Hyrid GTX 1080

64GB RAM

Corsair Graphite 760T ATX Full tower

Corsair Hydro 110i 280mm water cooling fan.

EVGA Supernova G3 750 watt 80 plus gold power supply

2 M.2 drives.

Win10 Pro

what I'm looking at upgrading in phase 1 is

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X or AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D

MSI B650 MPG Edge WiFi AMD AM5 ATX Motherboard

And either G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 32gb or 64gb of RAM.

So, a couple of questions. I've been

1. I've been advised to do new install of OS, as people I've talked to have had stability issues with not reinstalling
  2. My current CPU cooling fan is for an AM4 chip. Is there an adaptor I can get for the AM5 chip, or do I need to purchase a whole new cooling unit
  3. I'm open to another brand of RAM, espeically if good performance with a lower price point.

I do mostly game with my unit, Tabletop simulator, Paradox games, some other turnbase games. Not really into FPS. I do have one game, Distant Worlds 2, which requires a 12 core processor to run the largest galaxies, which is pushing me to start looking at upgrades.

Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• OJsDad
    Options

I should note, City Skylines 2 is on my wishlist. Looking at CPU discussions about, it looks like it could take advantage of 16 cores on the 7950X3D.

Also, except for upgrading the video card, and if needed, PSU, I'd like this build to last 6-7 years.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99