NexiGo USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C to A 16 ft. Link Cable - incorrect description, NOT fiber - SOLVED

Options
HangryAssassin
edited January 31 in All Other Tech

The products in question: (I can't post links but search them up on the Microcenter site):

• NexiGo USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C to A 16 ft. Link Cable - Black (sku: 495465)
  • NexiGo USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C to A 32 ft. Link Cable - Black (sku: 495473)

The description for this product is

Specially designed for Quest, the USB 3.2 high-speed cable is a perfect alternative for the original Quest link cable. Easy to play all the games. Up to 5 Gbps, made of superior fiber optics bundles to reduce weight, the data transfer speed of our quest link cable 3.0 enables you to enjoy gaming with absolutely zero lag. Designed with an innovative 90 degrees L connector, more convenient and comfortable for playing games. Top-quality cable jacket provides high tear-resistance and durability. Advanced connectors won't tarnish or decrease conductivity over time.

However, after dissecting one of these cables, I can confirm that it is not fiber. It is a regular USB cable with a linear redriver in the middle (hence the box, which wouldn't be on a fiber cable) to boost signal strength.

Not sure who to talk to to have this corrected. The packaging makes no claims to being fiber, only the Microcenter website. But it's pretty misleading to advertise this as fiber, considering a fiber USB cable of the same length would cost a lot more than this - making it look like a great deal - but the price is pretty on-par for a regular USB cable.

UPDATE: I contacted Microcenter support and they updated the page

Comments

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99