PC Build Assistance - Factoring in Display Port USB-C Docking Station

Options

Hello Micro Center community!

I am in the planning stage of building my first gaming PC and would love to have your help in answering a question I have. I have listed the important components below, but I also included a link to my full PC build at the bottom of this post.

I work from home and have a Dell WD19 Docking Station that connects my peripherals (including a mouse, keyboard, and webcam) and 2 monitors to my work laptop through a DisplayPort USB-C cable.

In my first PC build, I would like to be able to simply unplug the docking station's USB-C from my work laptop and plug it into my PC to transfer over my peripherals and monitors with little hassle.

In pursuit of this goal, I have selected the Gigabyte B650 AERO G ATX AM5 motherboard, which supports VisionLink (Gigabyte's version of Thunderbolt). If I am understanding correctly, I should be able to plug my GPU into the motherboard via the DisplayPort-in port, then plug my docking station into the VisionLink USB-C port. This should allow me to use my monitors, using my GPU for graphics.

However, being my first PC build, I wanted to bring this to the experts to get your opinion on whether this will work or if there are better options. If it is possible to achieve this using a gaming-oriented motherboard, such as the Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite, I am all ears. I think this may be possible using a thunderbolt card, but those are expensive and would cause the overall cost of the motherboard to be more than the AERO G.

A note on the build: I am trying to grow into this build, so I am starting with a lower mid-range CPU/GPU combination that can be upgraded in the future. I have also selected a larger power supply than I currently need to support a more robust system down the road.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600

GPU: Radeon RX 7600 XT 16GB

Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 AERO G ATX AM5

PC Part Picker full PC build:

Dell Docking Station:

Answers

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase