New system post with no video

Options

Hello all. Just bought parts for a new system for my niece.

Microcenter combo: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI B650-P Pro WiFi, G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB DDR5-6000 Kit, Computer Build Bundle

completed build and very slow post if any.

Tried with and without video card, Tried with and without hard drive, Tried 1 and 2 sticks of ram, Updated Bios to 1C.

Computer with start with debug lights coming on and going off, all fans running, no video.

Sometimes, I'll hit Ctrl/Alt/Del after then white debug light goes out and the system will start normally. Once the system starts, everything works fine. This goes for using either the MSI 4060Ti, or the on-board video.

EXPO is disabled, memory is running at 4800 Mhz. That doesn't bother me.

If I do a restart, it works fine. But as soon as I shut down and then restart, it doesn't start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I work full time so anything I do is later after work.

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited February 14
    Options

@Gorrufus

When this happens, what if you swap the video? For instance if it happens with the 4060 installed, what if you swap to the IGP? If it doesn't work, try spamming the 'shift' key 15-20 times rapidly and see if you hear the sound from the sticky keys pop up.

Just to clarify, I mean swap the cable physically over from the discrete card to the IGP with the system on.

• Gorrufus
    Options

@PowerSpec_MikeW

I just started the PC and swapped the cable to the IGP. Video came on immediately. Could this mean that the 4060Ti is crap?

I tried a ROG-STRIX RX580 and the PC started fine. I'll try a few more starts to make sure.

If it's the discrete card, is there a way to disable the IGP in the Bios? Or should I get another card. If you think I should get another card, what would you recommend that's on the same level as the 4060Ti? Should I Not go with an Nvidia card? I've built a few systems in my time, but been away from building due to life getting in the way. I've read a lot about DDr5 problems especially with MSI boards.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Gorrufus

It might just be a board issue. I feel like it's skipping over the discrete card. Might try Settings - Advanced - Integrated Graphics Configuration - Integrated Graphics = Disabled. See if it stops happening once there's no other choice. Keep in mind, if there's an issue, you'll need to clear CMOS to get the IGP back.

No indication of a RAM issue, the board trains and gives a VGA error. DDR5 is new, its had teething issues. More so on the AMD side, but they've been working through it and it's in a much better place now.

• Gorrufus
    Options

Ok time for an Update...........

replaced video card with a known working RX580. starts up fine

replaced video card with a known good GTX 1060. starts up fine

installed the 4060 Ti in another working system. Other system starts up fine.

Re-installed the 4060 Ti into the fresh build. NO video. White debug light stays on.

re-installed RX 580 in fresh build . starts up fine

Could it just be a compatibility issue with the MSI 4060 Ti and the MSI B650 motherboard??

Going to head to Microcenter tomorrow when they open and maybe they can give me more insight when they actually see it with no video.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Gorrufus

It's possible. We build a few models with this board, that use the 4070 and 4070 Super. We have used MSI cards and haven't encountered an issue like this.

• Gorrufus
    Options

I ended up returning the motherboard for a new one. (same board)

I also returned the 4060 Ti and purchased a 4070 Asus 12gb

Same result once. Updated the Bios and now everything works fine.

No one at microcenter heard of this problem and suggested I just return the board and VC.

Thanks for the suggestions.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99