PowerSpec B751 Memory Upgrade

Options

I just purchased a B751 with the 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM. I see that it supports 64GB total. I haven't opened the computer box yet because I want to set it up once we move everything into our new house in a few weeks. When I bought the B751 I also asked for a Kingston 32GB DDR4-3200 stick of memory to upgrade it when I set everything up. However, someone else (not a sales guy) told me that I needed to get TWO 16GB sticks instead. I haven't opened the memory yet so I guess I could take it back if needed. But does anyone know if I can successfully upgrade the total memory to 64GB by adding the single stick of 32GB RAM?

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited February 20
    Options

@GregO

Per MSI it'll support up to 128GB. When we build a system, we'll test double the shipping RAM configuration typically then list that spec, rather than the manufacturers specification. As there are a lot of factors involved when you're pushing high RAM capacities.

To answer your question, yes. You can run 2x16, 1x32 barring compatibility issues. The downside is you're running in flex channel mode. With a two or four sticks they're split into two channels. Two sticks can be written to or read at the same time. This effectively doubles you're memory bandwidth, dual channel memory. So the Kingston 32GB will really be 1600MHz. You will have a performance fall off when the Kingston module is accessed. I can't say that you'll notice it outside of benchmarks, but it does depend on what you're using the PC for.

Now as to whether you'll have compatibility issues. It's very likely you will if you load the XMP profile. Reason for this is is most memory manufacturers unless it's Crucial, an OEM Samsung/SK Hynix option, don't make the IC's on the stick. They're bought from Samsung, SK Hynix, Nanya. If you're mixing IC's, or worse, mixing densities with dual versus single sided sticks you're going to have an issue and it's important to consider that when purchasing an upgrade, especially when you want maintain your XMP profile speed. Now, unfortunately, it's very common for RAM manufacturers to change the IC without changing the model number.

With the GSKill Ripjaw module in your system, I've seen a lot of different IC's. We check and approve the modules that are used on our systems, but on that module I know that Hynix CJR/DJR, AFR/MFR in 4/8/16GB Densities. I've seen Samsung B-Die. Nanya C-Die. Send me a picture of the sticker on the module in your system and I'll tell you what to look for if you're having any issues with the Kingston stick or aren't happy with the performance.

• GregO
    Options

I haven't opened (or installed) the Memory Module yet so hopefully the info on the package will provide you the details you need. I may want to return it anyway (or get the price difference) since my receipt shows I was charged $139.99 and the price sticker on it says $124.99. I don't want to open it yet if I need to return it for 2-16GB ones. I'm not going to use the PC for any high-powered gaming applications. I do some video and song editing, website designs, and use a lot of Microsoft Office applications. The PC I'm currently using is an older PowerSpec B659 with only 16GB which has been adequate for what I'm using it for, but I was looking to upgrade it to a faster machine. I do occasionally have programs that take a while to save files and such and I just assumed that the 16GB wasn't helping. So, while I was upgrading, I thought I would take the memory up a notch as well.

Let me know if I need to return/exchange the memory stick. I appreciate your help. Greg

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@GregO

Those are RDIMM's, that's server memory. It's mechanically compatible but it's not supported by the board. It's also much more expensive. We should have a 2x16GB UDIMM kit. Something like this for $70: https://www.microcenter.com/product/467049/gskill-ripjaws-v-32gb-(2-x-16gb)-ddr4-3200-pc4-25600-cl16-dual-channel-desktop-memory-kit-f4-3200c16d-32g-black

As for the code, it's always on the module itself. If you can take a picture of the sticker on the RAM in your system, I can tell you what to look for at the store. The above linked RAM is what's in your system.

• GregO
    Options

Ok. I'll post a picture shortly.

You said that my system would actually support 128GB. Since I paid $139.99 for the Kingston 32GB stick, could I swap it for the G.Skill Ripjaws V 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL18 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3600C18D-64GVK? That 109546 is $139.99 as well.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@GregO

You could, but it's going to be hard to get it to work together on the XMP. It'll probably run on the JEDEC speed, but that's only 2133MHz. If you're going that route, I'd probably just buy the 64GB upgrade then to remove the preinstalled 32GB. You'll be able to double it to 128GB down the road if you need to.

• GregO
    Options

This is what is installed in slots 1 and 3 currently. I assume if I get the 2 sticks you referred to in your previous post I would put them in slots 2 and 4, or move the exiting one in slot 3 to slot 2, and the new ones into slots 3 and 4. Correct?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@GregO

No, you don't want to move it. If the RAM is in 1 and 3, put the new RAM in 2 and 4. Slots are numbers A1, A2, B1, B2. You want the sticks in the kit in different channels. A1/B1 and A2/B2. Which should be 1 and 3, then 2 and 4.

So I'm looking at the code on the top left. 04213XS820C. If you pick up another kit of this, I would match the bolded characters, but that should be exactly what's in store right now.

• GregO
    Options

Sounds like a plan. I purchased this stick on 2/9 and I've got a doctor's appointment in Atlanta on 3/6 so I'll plan on going by the Duluth store on the way there or back (since it's a 2.5 hour drive). That'll still be within the 30 days after purchase. Thanks for your help.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99