What constitutes a "good/great" motherboard?

Options

I see mobos ranging anywhere from $200-$1000+ and I'm curious to know if higher price equates to a better mobo? I recently finished my build using a ASRock Riptide as it seemed to check off all my boxes for a mobo. Intel 14th gen compatible, DDR5 capable, wifi 7, lots of storage options, PCIe 5.0 and the price was about right. However I found myself questioning, should I have gone for a more expensive board? I see lots of posters (usually) getting an ASUS Hero/Dark Hero or MSI board for their builds. I have a 14900k/4090 in my build and am wondering if the mobo I picked was good enough or should I have ponied up and gotten a better board? I'm sorta new to PC building, however, I believe I made a decent choice but just curious to see I should've gone with another board/brand?

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@h1r0ll3r

Specifically on the gaming side there are going to be two things that affect price.

1. I/O expandability options. Higher end onboard controllers, like LAN/Audio/WIFI.
    2. VRM. More phases, higher quality mofsets/chokes/caps. Built for overclocking and won't effect normal usage.

For instance on the Riptide: 12+2+1 Power Phase, 50A Dr.MOS with Enlarged Heatsink Armor.

Versus the B650E Taichi: 24+2+1 Power Phase, 105A SPS for VCore+GT with Enlarged Heatsink Armor.

It's not going to affect you for normal usage, including gaming. The Riptide still has plenty over overclocking potential, especially on AMD. 24/7 overclocking on air or water, you're going to be thermally limited. There's more to be gained performance wise from undervolting. The Taichi is more built got extreme overclocking.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99