G470 Powerspec --- windows 11 issue

Options

Issue --- Windows 11 repeatedly fails to update correctly. Click on folder and crashes file explorer.

I'm to the point I want to do a fresh install from windows 11 ISO that has the correct version 23H2. This particular machine came with Windows 10 with free upgrade of windows 11 pro edition. The upgrade is nice, but I don't have the key to run a fresh install. When I look at the activation key it comes up as windows 10 key. I know it is embedded somehow in the machine for the upgrade because I've completed two fresh installs before; same issue - couldn't get the machine to update properly hangs up constantly.

Is there a way to get the windows 11 key so I can do a fresh install of windows? If not, what are my options in resolving this?

Thanks for time,

Jarrod

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@jbarclay

Key is embedded in the firmware. Shouldn't be any issue to do a clean install, it'll pickup the key and the OS version from that. Once you claim the upgrade to Windows 11, you have a digital entitlement for it tied to the key in the system firmware.

• jbarclay
    Options

So, could I install from the windows 11 ISO with firmware 23H2? Probably seems like a silly question, but being embedded and not having key in hand has me confused. lol

Thanks for the help with this.

Any idea why these updates keep hanging up? Never just finishes an update and restarts to previous version all the time.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@jbarclay

You can pull the key with a tool like ShowKeyPlus that's available on the Microsoft store, but you shouldn't ever be asked for it. The installer should detect it's a Pro key and skip asking for the license or version to install, and it should activate as soon as you're online.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99