Can't connect USB devices to docking stations with new HP Elitebook 645 laptop

Options

Hi,

I previously had a Lenovo laptop and everything connected wonderfully with a docking station.

I had to return it and I recently purchased a HP elitebook 645 from Microcenter.

I've tried 2 different docking stations (Tecknet, Tobenone) and my USB devices (webcam, speaker) do not work with the HP elitebook when I plug them into either docking station. I am able to establish an ethernet connection and HDMI connection to 2 monitors using either docking station. What gives with this HP elitebook, why cannot I connect USB devices through a docking station?

I of course have checked that my USB devices work. When I plug any of them directly into the HP elitebook, they work properly.

Answers

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    5 Awesomes 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls First Anniversary
    Options

Hi,

Did your docking station have power from the wall? You might need one that does to get enough power for the extra peripherals.

• jacqnice
    Options

Yes, I tried with 2 different docking stations, neither work with the HP Elitebook. Both docking stations had power and are designed to hold the extra peripherals so I am thinking it is the laptop not docking station

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@jacqnice

Few questions.

1. What models are the docking stations?
    2. Do they connects via USB-C or USB-A?
    3. Do you have any devices missing drivers in Device Manager?

Worth checking, though usually the only driver package you need is for display output on USB-A, everything else like the network is usually inbox.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99