G443 USB 3 ports reading as USB2

Options

My USB 3 ports are all reading and writing as USB2. I know BIOS is custom for powerspec, so i am hesitant to use MSI z690 bios on their website in fear it'd not work or wipe out current bios settings for ram and such. Right now, i have legacy support on and toggled the other option for XCHI on and off with no change. I dont want to toggle legacy USB because I read on forums it makes it impossible to get back into bios with a keyboard for some reason.

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Stevesteve

What are you seeing to indicate this? Did you get a pop up when you connected a device? If so, what was the device? One of our tests as part of Windows Hardware Lab Kits, tests the mapping and connectivity of every USB 3.x port on the system, this shouldn't be an issue.

• Stevesteve
    Options

When I plug Quest 3 into any port (front or back, red or blue) I get messages saying USB3.0 is better and current port is 2.0. Also, when I open up usbdeview is shows all ports as 2.0.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Stevesteve

I connected a USB 3.0 flash drive and external SSD to the system and they were both detected as USB 3.0. I'm seeing a lot of users reporting issues like this with the Quest 2/3. Oculus should have a speed test. What does the headset test at on that cable?

• Stevesteve
    Options

@PowerSpec_MikeW Not sure, I didn't run any test to verify speed. This all stemmed prior to the Quest 3 hook up as I have been getting USB cut outs. It comes and goes weirdly, and doesn't matter which ports, but my mouse/keyboard flicker mid game or mid use. My headset often will crackle. I did a deep dig and there are forums where people with this MOBO have had similar issues. That's why I wanted to try to update the BIOS but discovered Powerspec doesn't use the MSI update. I've read the latest MSI bios has helped some of those other issues though.

• Stevesteve
    Options

@PowerSpec_MikeW I know that sort of sidebarred the thread, sorry. I feel like it's related albeit it is definitely beyond my comprehension at this point.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Stevesteve

Here's our latest official. AMF.

Must flash from Advanced Flash Mode. Press Control + Alt + T from the BIOS. You can use the MSI BIOS. The main two things with that are, the BIOS is not tested by us with your hardware configuration. And it'll change the SMBIOS information. You'll get driver updates pushed from MSI instead of from us.

• Stevesteve
    Options

Thanks, i believe this is the current version i am on. I will reinstall it anyway and go from there. Ill let you know if i end up doing MSI bios/if it is stable.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Stevesteve

We appreciate the follow up and we'll see if we can look into it further.

• Stevesteve
    Options
    Should I choose v1.me or va.mf? I'm currently on va.mb dated feb2023.
  • Stevesteve
    Options
    @PowerSpec_MikeW let me know when you can I am sort of in the thick of all this now haha. I'm guessing v1.me is for ddr4 board (linked you saying use that one on a g445 post). Also, are there any xmp settings I should look out for with the m flash bios update that will reset? I feel like the original xmp I had on this PC had some stuff remarking OC and turbo values but admittedly I didn't look to hard and ATM the PC has the m flash open. 
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited March 14
    Options

@Stevesteve

Sorry, correct one is AMF. Uploaded the package again with just the AMF BIOS. 1ME was for the DDR4 version of the board. After you flash, do this.

1. F6 - load defaults.
    2. Click 1 for XMP to load the profile.
    3. F10 to save and exit.
  • Stevesteve
    Options

@PowerSpec_MikeW

Seems to have went great, and no crackle or cut outs. The true test is time for that. It seems to happen randomly but as it stands even my games feel more responsive albeit FPS and temps/usage are on par. Could be placebo but I was cracked in "The Finals" earlier haha.

As far as XMP 1, just to be safe, bc a lot of things change when I click to save and exit, is there a breakdown of what that profile has selected? Just so I can cross reference to make sure somewhere down the line I didn't fudge that up and accidently saved over it. Or is that XMP profile something that will require a deliberate action to write over (like won't get altered as a profile when I exit and save bios.) Pretty much a bunch selections go from auto to +1 and one goes to-3 when I click to save and exit.

Thanks again for all your help.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@Stevesteve

Simple answer, yes. Sets speed to 5600, timings to 36-36-36-89 1.2V. If you want to verify what's loaded, you can check the speed in Task Manager. For timings, use CPU-Z: https://download.cpuid.com/cpu-z/cpu-z_2.09-en.exe

More complicated answer. This is how XMP, DOCP or EXPO work. They're providing the basic primary timing set as listed above. There are dozens of secondary and tertiary timings, as well as impedance values and other associated voltages such as the memory controller that have to be 'trained' by the board. That's why when you save and exit that first boot takes 20-30 seconds. Those values are harder to see. Secondary's and some of the tertiary values will be visible in the BIOS. Sometimes a value will just be Auto and it doesn't tell you. On AMD we have ZenTimings for a deep dive into viewing this information. The only thing I've seen for Intel is the ASRock Timing Configurator, but I haven't used it in a few years, or with DDR5.

• Stevesteve
    Options

@PowerSpec_MikeW Hey Mike, RAM is dialed in. No USB cut outs and the ports read as USB3.0 with Quest 3 now. Thank you for all the help. MISSION SUCCESSFUL.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99