GPU Recommendation

Options

I'm looking for a GPU recommendation. Budget is under $600. Current system:

• 5800x
  • 32GB 3600 RAM
  • RTX 3060 12GB
  • 1440p dual monitors

Some games I play: Diablo 4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Guardians of the Galaxy, Starfield. I was looking at both the 7900 GRE and the 7800 XT but am open to other suggestions. Thanks.

Best Answer

• PowerSpec_KenJ
    PowerSpec_KenJ PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Options

The 7900GRE is a strong card at that price. It will outperform the 7800XT and is near the 7900XT in 1080P and 1440P gaming but falls short at 4K. Another option would be the 4070 Super. We tested these on Cyberpunk 2077, Horizon Zero Dawn and Metro Exodus. The 7900GRE kept up in the 1080P benchmarks, but the 4070 Super was stronger at higher resolutions.

Answers

• PowerSpec_Alex
    PowerSpec_Alex PowerSpec Engineer
    Name Dropper 5 Likes First Answer First Comment
    Options

Hello!

Thanks for the details you gave, it helps a ton!

Both the 7900 GRE and the 7800 XT are great picks for GPUs with the 7900 GRE being a bit better and the way I would go personally between the two. On the NVIDIA side, the 4070 Super is gonna run just a little bit faster than the 7800 XT or the 7900 GRE but with the trade of having 4GB less VRAM. At 1440p with only a single monitor, I'd say the 4070 Super wins, but with your dual 1440p monitors, that extra VRAM on the 7900 GRE is your best bet I think.

I also wanted to let you know that it looks like your PC is probably bottlenecking at your CPU right now and not the GPU. So you should definitely see some improvement with a GPU upgrade, it may not really shine and be able to use it's full power until it gets a partner CPU that can keep up. If you want anymore info down that rabbit hole, just let me know and I'll be happy to help!

I hope that your GPU picks works perfectly for you and don't forget to check that the physical dimensions of the GPU you choose are going to fit in your build!

I hope this helps!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99