Added more DDR5 to an ASUS TUF 670E and doesn't even power up, no boot

Options
buchmeister
buchmeister ✭✭
First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
edited March 25 in PowerSpec

So to a Powerspec G712 with 32G, I added another 32G (2X16) in the open slots. They should be compatible, Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5200MHz (same speed). I go to power up and get nothing. I immediately remove them and it starts right up.

• are they compatible?
  • enable something in BIOS?

What am I missing? Thanks in advance...

Dave

Answers

• Zuua
    Zuua ✭✭
    First Answer Name Dropper Community Champion 5 Likes
    Options

Have you tried booting the pc with the new kit? Because it is possible that the new ram kit just isn't compatible with the preinstalled one. If you try and exchange the kit bring in one of the sticks from the PC so the Build Your Own PC associate can more accurately match the kits.

What I'm meaning by matching the kits is that each Ram has certain timing for the stick which are just as important as matching the speed of the kit.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@buchmeister

Probably not, unless by chance you happened to find a kit with the same IC as the factory RAM. If you can get the Rev code off the Corsair RAM I may be able to look it up.

• buchmeister
    Options

Hey,. thanks for both answers...what I should've done is to just match the sticks that are in there now made by G.Skill. Easiest thing to do.

thanks, Dave

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@buchmeister

Here's the Corsair page on decoding part numbers and version numbers: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/explorer/diy-builder/memory/how-to-decode-your-corsair-memory/

Just for some additional information. It's possible to mix it but it should be the same die. If the timings are different, try to load XMP on the looser timings, but it's still much more likely to be successful with a matching kit. And keep in mind, the parts change on RAM over time. The same exact part number, could be a totally different IC and you're back in the same boat. Also, four sticks is still pretty rough. Default behavior on a 4800 JEDEC profile is to automatically drop down to 3600 on dual rank memory sticks. So that should work fine, but being able to train to the XMP profile is a different question altogether.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99