Goal content creation, AI workloads, futureproof

Options
First_Due
First_Due
edited April 3 in Help Choosing Parts

Remote working dinosaur seeking to buy and custom build. Looking for some advice beyond what I am getting from AI Q&A and watching far too many videos.
Focus is on video and photo editing, Autodesk construction documents, data analytics and AI uses in healthcare.
Function the priority but a light show would be nice. Prefer to opt for sufficient cooling without adding pipes and coolant throughout the case.
I have 4TB of photo and video files to edit and export before I put on the wooden coat.
Thank you for your patience and guidance.

Starting with these for now.
Lian Li - O11 Dynamic EVO XL RGB Tempered Glass eATX Full Tower Computer Case - White
AMD - Ryzen 9 7950X Raphael AM5 4.5GHz 16-Core
MSI - X670E MEG GODLIKE AMD AM5 eATX
Corsair - Vengeance RGB 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR5-6000
ASUS - GeForce RTX 4090 TUF
Crucial - T705 4TB Micron 232L TLC NAND PCIe Gen 5 x4 NVMe M.2 Internal SSD with Heatsink
ASUS - ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt 80 Plus Platinum ATX Fully Modular Power Supply
Lian Li - Galahad II LCD-SL Infinity 360mm Water Cooling Kit - White
2-Lian Li - Uni Fan SL120 V2 Fluid Dynamic Bearing 120mm Case Fan - White 3 Pack

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@First_Due

Monster system all around. Two things I'd say. The board is very good, but may be excessive if you're not going to overclock. You could save some cash here and choose a board with the I/O required. But, the VRM superb so I can't really argue with the choice. You should play around with some undervolting though.

Second is the CPU. You're a generation early for AI Co-Processors, but AM5 is likely to last a while longer so there will be upgrade options down the road.

• magarity
    magarity ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment First Answer
    edited April 4
    Options

You should definitely confirm that the editing software you intend to use will definitely benefit from that 4090. It is unlikely, actually. Editing software tends to get only rather modest boost from a GPU. It is rendering that needs a hardcore card, not editing. I strongly suspect you'd just be paying for that thing to burn electricity while not getting much use from it. The top end nVidia chips tend to suck down the watts even when not doing much.

As someone who has an Asus Crosshair VIII, even I think that MSI motherboard is excessive. And MSI isn't as good a brand, in my opinion. If you want a fancy board just to have a fancy board I'd go with the Crosshair Hero AM5 or the Creator X670 ProArt. More than that and it starts getting silly in a hurry.

Get the "without heatsink" model of that SSD because all the high end motherboards will have integrated heatsinks. You'd just end up removing the one on the SSD. The with heatsink models are for lower end motherboards actually.

Everything else on that list looks good to me.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99