Mobo BIOS Firmware / G446

Options
JustPokingAround
edited April 22 in PowerSpec

Seems the firmware on the powerspec BIOS does not really align with what is available for the retail board.

Is there a source for the firmware or am I missing something obvious????

G446

Current BIos:

Model: E7D251IZ1 version VA.MF

On their site the version that gets downloaded is:

E7D25IMS version: VA.H0

Model mismatch caught my eye when I was about to flash it

For the "same" mobo model: PRO z690-A WIFI (MS-7D25)

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Best Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Answer ✓
    Options

@JustPokingAround

Flashed without issue, no obvious issues or bugs that I've seen so far. So far as the defaults.

Secure Boot Preset - Maximum Security - This is up to you, we set it this way so that it'll actually block unsigned boot loaders.

MSI Utility - Up to you, we disable it as a default. We manage the drivers through windows update. We can push the BIOS this way as well, and that's our go to if there's a critical security update.

Wake Up Events - We enable resume by USB as a default.

Fan Control - Set your system fan header to PWM. DC is the default which doesn't interact appropriately with the fan controller on the case.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Answer ✓
    Options

@JustPokingAround

No, we won't push it unless it's a critical security update. Reason being it's going to reset and disable XMP. If you flash the MSI BIOS, it's pretty straight forward. Our custom BIOS has to be done from the advanced flash mode as MSI changes the model in the header file as you noted for our custom BIOS.

We can work on a custom version of this BIOS, though I'm not seeing any noticeable gains performance wise.

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited April 22
    Options

@JustPokingAround

Just looks like a typo in the SMBIOS data, it's not an issue. M-Flash won't show the BIOS if it isn't compatible, unless you're in the advanced flash mode. I can flash it on one of our systems tomorrow and take a look at it. There are some micro code updates. The CEP performance optimization doesn't apply to the K/KF processors.

We can provide the BIOS updates on request, we have a few threads for updates mainly on our AM5 systems, but we can certainly sticky a thread for Intel.

Concerning E7D251IZ1 vs E7D25IMS. MSI reference for the custom BIOS, it's compatible, but I will flash it tomorrow and look it over. See what defaults we would adjust on a custom BIOS.

• Might dupe-ish post (I thought it posted and then it disappeared)

That would be awesome. The sticky makes sense too since pre-built customers might be more inclined to update things like BIOS. I saw the 14th gen microcode improvements, but missed the K/KF nuance, but appreciate it. Will keep an eye on the thread.

• Awesome. And the defaults as well! Thanks!

• Hmm… that actually begs the question, are you going to push the BIOS? Cause then I don't have to do much…. just a thought.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99