Router recommendation to replace FIOS G1100 Quantum Gateway

Options

Hi All,

I'm new to this community and looking for recommendations for a wireless router that is compatible with Verizon FIOS and is at least as good as the current FIOS G1100 router (5 GHz Frequency, 5G) that I rent from FIOS. I have a small to medium sized house and limited tech experience so looking for a router that is easy to set up (and potentially compatible with Nord VPN).

Thanks,

Jonesy13

Answers

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options

Greetings,

Do you happen to be near one of our store locations? We would have a selection of routers at our stores that should work. Our salespeople are available directly in-store at each Micro Center for recommendations and purchasing assistance. We can refer you to drop in during store hours or we can send over your information to your nearest store if you'd like.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@Jonesy13

Do you have ethernet or coax running from the ONT to the G1100 right now? If it's coax, you want to talk to Verizon first and have them run ethernet. From there, any router will work. Make sure you release the WAN IP on the G1100 before you replace it or you'll get MAC bound. It's just going to be a matter of figuring out what features you want, what area you're going to need to cover, ect. I prefer the ASUS routers for the easy AI mesh setup. I prefer their system of easily adding routers as AP's over the mesh systems out there.

• Jonesy13
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for the quick responses!  I have ethernet from the ONT to the G1100 now.  Are there any downsides of getting rid of the G1100 and replacing it with a new router?  I saw that some folks connect a second router to a G1100 but wasn’t sure what the advantage of this would be?

Thanks again,
    Jonesy13
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

Extended range if you set the second router up as an AP. I think the retail options are going to be superior routers. The only downside I could think of is if you contact FIOS for tech support, they're going to blame your aftermarket router immediately.

• Jonesy13
    Options
    @PowerSpec_MikeW

Thanks again for the helpful reply and advice!  Much appreciated!
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99