Critique my proposed build

I current have a 4-year-old Dell OptiPlex 5070 that I've outgrown. I decided to go the custom route for future expandability. This is my first build (may as well get the full experience!), so I want a case that's easy to build in. (Though I did have a lot of experience back in the day digging around inside IBM PCs and ATs.)

I mainly do software development and content creation (think YouTube), so the most compute-intensive thing I do is video editing. I want something I'll be happy with for 4-5 years.

I also need a decent USB subsystem. I'll often have 3 cameras, mouse/KB, a headset, an Arduino, and 2 external drives hooked up. Sometimes my Dell seems to have an issue with all that.

Here's what I'm thinking of:

=======

Microcenter bundle

i7-13700K (I won't be overclocking, but that's what the bundle has)

MSI Z790-P Pro WiFi Intel LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard

Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000 CL32 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F5-6000J3238F16GX2-RS5K

Crucial T500 2TB TLC NAND PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe M.2 Internal SSD

Lian Li Lancool 216 Tempered Glass ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case - Black

Corsair RMx Series RM850x 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply

DeepCool AK400 Performance CPU Cooler - Black

Corsair TM30 Performance Thermal Paste

======

The power supply is probably overkill, but I may buy a big-boy graphics card some day. I'm going to start with an Intel ARC A380, which I already bought to put in my Dell.

I read somewhere that the Lian Li Lancool 216 is a pretty easy case to build in - any thoughts?

Finally, I have no interest in RGB or water cooling.

So, what does the collective wisdom of the Internet have to say? Any suggestions for changes?

Comments

• Lambdaben
    Lambdaben ✭✭✭
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Likes 5 Answers

Hi @rdwells!

As far as your build goes, I see only one problem with it, which is the AK400 already comes with thermal paste so its redundant to buy the Corsair TM30 thermal paste. My only suggestion I have for you would be to upgrade the cooler to something a little beefier for better temps in longevity.

Hope this helps!!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99