Can I run AT&Ts 1000mb cable straight into a Powerspec B745?

Options
PoppoJohn
PoppoJohn ✭✭
First Comment First Anniversary
edited May 26 in General Discussion

My router seems to be having problems reaching my computer. I have two cables from AT&T in the room. One behind the TV and one behind the computer, but I can't see if and where I can plug the computer one in. The computer has an MSI card, but it has two coaxial inputs.

Answers

• Rye_Bread
    Rye_Bread ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options

Hi, PoppoJohn!

On the back of your MSI motherboard, you should have something that resembles this:

The coax-looking ports (number 4) are for the Bluetooth/Wifi antennae that come with the motherboard. These will not work with the coax cable that normally connects to your TV.

The port denoted by the number 3 port is for an ethernet connection, using an RJ-45 connector. This is what you usually see on the back of routers and modems. If this is the type of cable you have available, that's the one you'd want to use.

To get a better understanding, would you be able to send a picture of what the two cables from AT&T look like?

-Ryen

• Rye_Bread
    Rye_Bread ✭✭✭✭
    Options

To better clarify, I was able to grab a picture of the back of your PC.

The same things I said above apply, just looks a little different :)
    Note that the connectors for the Wifi + Bluetooth antennae are toward the bottom of the case, near the power supply.

• PoppoJohn
    PoppoJohn ✭✭
    Options
    My cable from the router uses an RJ-45 connector.
  • PoppoJohn
    PoppoJohn ✭✭
    Options

My cable is plugged into the RJ-45 connector labeled 1G. So how do I get the computer to use that instead of Wi-Fi for internet?

• Rye_Bread
    Rye_Bread ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Computers tend to favor wired connections so they usually will switch automatically. If it doesn't, you should be able to disconnect the Wi-Fi and the PC should switch over to the ethernet connection. You may have to go into your network settings and tell the computer to "Forget" the Wi-Fi network, just make sure you still know the password. If this doesn't work, that RJ-45 cable may not be sending a signal.

Let us know!

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

@PoppoJohn

If it's Coaxial F for internet, no. If it's direct ethernet from something like a FIOS NID, it should work, but it'll be MAC bound to your router and it won't connect. WIFI adapters are RP-SMA exclusively, couldn't be connected to directly.

There is a setting to prioritize network connections if you have multiple connected. Windows + R and type: ncpa.cpl

You can go into the IPv4/IPv6 stack, under advanced and override the metric. Lower is higher priority, forcing it to use the desired connection. Alternatively, just disconnect the WIFI.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99