Dell Inspiron 5680/ ST# H2B71Q2 - GPU upgrade options ???

Es3kc
Es3kc
First Comment Name Dropper
edited June 14 in General Discussion
Need advice on whether I am reasonably thinking that I can upgrade the GPU for my computer to substantiate buying the Alienware AW3225QF monitor??? Does it make sense with the options I have for GPU on this system to spend $1k on a monitor? Thats what I need help with....

I've added RAM, I've upgraded ssd, but I think I only have a 460w power supply and I know that limita the GPU options. I have a basic understanding but would appreciate advice from anyone who builds PC on if this is reasonable or a pipe dream to buy this monitor for this computer?

My second option would be the Dell S3222dgm,  and I'd get 2 of those... I had the S3220dgf and am able to upgrade due to bestbuys great extended warranty.   

Thanks!

Answers

• PowerSpec_KenJ
    PowerSpec_KenJ PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Likes Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Answers

The cards that will work with your current power supply won't give you any real boost in performance. I checked your ST# and it looks like the power supply is a standard ATX unit, but I cannot tell for certain (Dell typically uses proprietary units on their models). Users on other forums claim it is a standard ATX PSU. Upgrading to a 650W would get you enough overhead for a 4060 and 750W would allow for a 4070 Super or 4070 Ti Super.

• So I could potentially upgrade the power supply but you’re saying that a 4070 Super still isn’t good enough?

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    Second Anniversary Community Champion Photogenic 5 Awesomes

If you want to make full use of that monitor, you would want to pair it with a 4090, a 850 to 1000 watt psu and Ram and a processor that won't bottleneck it with appropriate case and cooler for the CPU. It's a very high end gaming monitor. If you're not looking to essentially build a new computer and spend that kind of money, I would look into a lower end monitor.

• I am currently in the market for a new gaming laptop or desktop. What I forgot to post is that my work laptop is Alienware x15 R2 with Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 TI laptop gpu…. here are the rest of the specs:

Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H 2.30 GHz
    Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)

I am perfectly fine having a more advanced monitor until I upgrade and shouldn't this laptop do much better or equal to what you're suggesting? I am actually getting two of these Aw3225qf monitors… I'm doing it! Look forward to your responses and Happy Fathers day!

• Shoan041
    Shoan041 ✭✭✭✭
    Second Anniversary Community Champion Photogenic 5 Awesomes

Hey, Laptop parts don't run as fast as their similarly named desktop parts. That being said, you do have a pretty high end laptop and it will run the monitor pretty well until you decide to build a desktop to replace it.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99