100% user error

Jadam
Jadam
First Comment
edited June 20 in General Discussion
I used to game a lot and have been out of the computer scene for a bit. I recently got a $1800 gaming desktop powerspec. 4K monitor. Other odd and ends.

My question is, when I push the second button on top of the tower from the right to power it on. The rainbow led’s kick on and then the monitor says something about the display port. I have to hit that same button to power it off and then my wife says holding it for 2 seconds works. I can’t for the life of me get a consistent power on and I feel like I’m am now the older person out of touch with electronics. I hope this makes sense.

i also want to mention, absolutely nothing is wrong with the hookups or power.

edit. G446 Desktop

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    250 Likes 25 Insightfuls Fifth Anniversary 2500 Comments

@Jadam

There is a set of debug LED's on the top right of the motherboard.

Red = CPU

Yellow = DRAM

White = VGA

Green = Boot

Watch these LED's closely the next time you try to power it on and let me know what you see. Give it 30-40 seconds, DDR5 is generally a considerably slower POST than DDR4.

• I just want to be clear though, cause I’m not sure what that will tell you. We can turn the computer on just fine, I just feel the power button is weird because I can’t just press it. My wife counts to 3 while holding it and says it’s consistent I’m just wondering way this is finicky. Or I’m doing it wrong.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    250 Likes 25 Insightfuls Fifth Anniversary 2500 Comments

@Jadam

So the button press is smooth, just nothing happens unless you hold the button down? Could be a defective button. On the other hand, on the MSI boards, there tends to be a delay between button press and power on, it's about 3 seconds. Long enough for you to think nothing is happening.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99