G446 - No RGB or Fan Control

Purchased a G446 in February. Still have an out-of-the-box issue.

RGBs cannot be customized or shut off, nor can fan speeds be controlled with any software that I've installed, MSI or otherwise.
RGBs are in sync (AIO w/2 fans + 3 case fans). All respond to the case button.
Reinstalled MSI Center & Mystic Light several times. Tried a few other programs. No joy. Uninstalled everything.

Literature for the Power Spec G446 is insanely lacking. Same goes for the MSI Pro Z690-A WiFi motherboard.
Not a builder so I don't know how to troubleshoot this issue. The most I've ever done to a PC is add RAM.

Anyone up for some handholding?

Answers

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 100 Answers 250 Likes

@Spluck

Sounds like a fan/RGB controller issue. This case has a controller for both that everything runs through. It has a cable for the fans and ARGB that connect to the board. It's possible they're loose or incorrectly seated. It's also possible the controller is defective. I would check those two cables if you're comfortable, make sure they're seated correctly though it's extremely unlikely both came loose. Especially on the fan. A controller failure is most likely which we can certainly replace for you.

Would that be something you'd be comfortable doing or that you'd like to bring it in for service to do? It's a small PCB secured by two screws. You can just detach the cables from the old controller and attach them to the same spot on the new one. The only exception being the SATA power. There are a few revs of the PCB and the SATA power is not universal.

• Hi Mike!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Attached pic of controller & mobo. I haven't touched anything yet. (can you hear me clucking?)

Are the inputs that look sort of like RJ11 jacks on the top right of the mobo the fan/rgb connections?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 100 Answers 250 Likes

@Spluck

Looks like it's all connected. Lets test one more thing first. Download MSI Center off of the store. Open up Mystic Lights. Set the color to any static color. Cycle through the modes, do they ever sync up?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99