WinBook Service Manuals

Hi,

First off - not sure if this is the best subforum for this post - feel free to move it if it fits better somewhere else.

I'm wondering whether or not Micro Center keeps archives of support documentation from "the old days" of WinBook (1993-2008). Content such as drivers, specifications, and user manuals can still be found through browsing winbookcorp.com on the WayBack Machine, but Micro Center/WinBook never released service manuals for these computers. As someone who collects, restores, documents, and still enjoys using these older/vintage laptops, having the service manuals for reference would be incredibly useful for both myself and the rest of the vintage computing community that enjoys fixing and retro gaming on them. It's easy to break clips when you don't know how something's supposed to come apart, and hardware this old usually requires some maintenance to get running again.

One example where a service manual would be incredibly helpful is with my 1996 WinBook FX. It has a 150MHz CPU installed, but for whatever reason, the motherboard is set to 133MHz. Back in those days, the BIOS couldn't autodetect your CPU and required jumpers to be manually set. Without documentation on the jumper settings (which would likely be in the service manual), I cannot set my FX to the proper 150MHz speed it should be running at.

If Micro Center no longer has archives of this material, or if it is against company policy to release them, then I understand. I figure that asking couldn't hurt.

Answers

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99