What cooler to add to this build?

BKTidswell
edited July 17 in Help Choosing Parts

This is my parts list below. I'm trying to figure out what cooler I should use. I'm only planning on playing games, and do not have any big overclocking plans. I'm hoping to get it all here in Cambridge, and so am not sure if I should do air cooled or AIO for a cooler, especially since I've heard that the Lian Li Galahad II has had some pump failure issues. If it's really worth it I'd be down to buy a higher end AIO, but I'm not sure if that's the best call.

(Sorry for the image, it wasn't letting me post the link)

Best Answer

• ThrasherESC
    ThrasherESC ✭✭
    First Answer First Comment
    Answer ✓

i'd stick with air cooling on pretty much anything below the i9 on intel side. way fewer points of failure. the noctua nh-d15 gen 2 should be available in the next couple/few weeks, but it's expensive - around $150. if you're looking for something that's available at your local micro center currently, the be quiet dark rock pro 5 is around $100 and would perform reasonably well. if you're fine ordering from amazon, pretty much any of the numerous variations of the thermalright peerless assassin or the thermalright phantom spirit perform in line with the best of the best dual tower air coolers, and do it around $35-40. easily the best value in air cooling, and it's not particularly close - especially now that deepcool are absent stateside. relatively easy installation, too. on a different note of the more "unsolicited advice" type, the sk hynix platinum p41 2tb gen 4 ssd is almost as fast as the 990 pro (effectively the same user experience except in very niche circumstances), runs quite a bit cooler due to being more energy efficient, and is $50 cheaper. strong recommendation there too. i use one of those on my main gaming rig, and have (lol) four more on a production rig. have also used several in builds for other people, with zero problems to report. great drives imo. whatever you decide, i hope you get years of enjoyment and/or work out of your build!

Answers

• Thanks so much for the advice! I think I'll look at getting the thermalright especially if it's easy, cheap, and good. It's rare you get all three! And I'll take a look at your ssd recommendation, I just knew samsung so I was looking at that brand. If you have any other advice feel free to give it, this is my first build.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99