PowerSpec B943 Mystery Shutdown

This has happened several times over the past week.

I work on the PC, and leave. It usually goes into a sleep mode, and is easily back on after hitting a few keys.

But today, and the other day, it went into a shutdown mode. Hitting the little white button on the top front does NOT turn it on.

Last week, I had other things to do for a few hours; and the white button worked. Today, I went to the I/O button for quick on/off; and the white button worked okay.

I can't figure out what is going on.

Would appreciate your help.

Fred

Answers

• PaulL
    PaulL admin
    500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Answers 5 Insightfuls

Hello! I am very sorry to hear that your system is not working properly. Can you trying clearing the capacitors? Here is how:

1. Turn off your computer
    2. Unplug the power cable to the computer from the back
    3. Hold the power button of your computer while it is unplugged for 30 seconds and then release
    4. Plug the power cable back into the computer
    5. Power on the computer

Otherwise, if you are able, can you check your event viewer to see if there are any notable errors around the time this occurs?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 100 Answers 250 Likes

@BlaineFred

Just want to verify, when the front power button doesn't work, the power LED is off, correct? If so, indication would be something's causing an a hard shutdown while you're out, and it's not going to power on again until you discharge the board by flipping the switch on the back. You can check event viewer logs, most likely all you'll see is a code 41 Kernel-Power.

• It is still happening.  I found that unplugging the computer, and replugging it solves the problem.

BUT I want to prevent this from happening again.  

Why is causing this to happen?

i want to fix it for good.

Would appreciate your advice.

Fred
  • PowerSpec_MikeW

@BlaineFred

Just to be clear. The power button doesn't turn it on at all, or the system turns on but there's no display?

• Blank screen.  White button does not turn it on.  Need to unplug and then replugging.  Then the white button turns it on.  And screen comes on and we are back to normal.

• PowerSpec_MikeW

@BlaineFred

Does it recover from the sleep state from that point or is it a fresh boot? Are the things you had open when the PC went to sleep still there?

• It’s not in a sleep state.  It is a complete shutdown and the white button does not turn it on UNLESS I unplug the power and plug it in again.
  • Don’t recall if the open software is restored.  
  • PowerSpec_MikeW

@BlaineFred

Sounds like something is tripping the over current protection on the power supply when the system is idle. That's why it won't turn back on until you discharge. Do you have anything added to the system or anything plugged in besides the video, keyboard and mouse?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99