Need Help Choosing Parts for a TrueNAS build

If anyone has any experience building a TrueNAS server for home use, can you check out my prospective build and let me know if you have any advice on if it'll work or not, and if not, what I should change or amend?
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=686151d6-26aa-42bd-a173-6f91c3a7e4ab
Thanks!

Comments

• m0sh
    m0sh ✭✭
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Answer

My advice.

• Get cheap retired data center disks (12tb for $70). They have five year warranty. Run it in RAID or even +2 parity drive mode.
    • Get Dell platinum PSU with lower wattage? Or the low wattage corsair ones that are high efficiency.
    • Your mobo only has 4 SATA. Should get one with 6 maybe? Use 1 M.2 for TrueNas (64gb or 128gb) and others as cache.
    • That's silly amount to pay for a case for TrueNAS. I use an old Antec case from 10-15 years ago and cases back then had space for 8-10 HDDs. If things go well, you won't have to look at the TrueNAS PC. If you're going high end, might as well get a rackmount with sliding disk bays.
    • With Intel and B-chipset, you also lose ability to undervolt.
    • 12600k and 12700k are just about the same price. Why bother with 4 core CPU? The 14100 is a rebadged alder lake anyways. You can undervolt anyways.

$1500 for a TrueNAS server seems very high to me but it depends on the use case.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99