Bottleneck?

I've been looking around for the best possible value for a pre-built, just to keep my mind open to any possible options. 

I ran into a build with a 2080ti with a Ryzen 2700X. Would the 2700X be a bottleneck to the 2080ti?
Also curious, via another build, if the Intel 9700k, given its lack of hyper threading, would be a bottle neck to the 2080ti.

Either way, the system would be used for gaming, streaming, and taking classes on graphics design and video editing.

Comments

• Camco said:
    I've been looking around for the best possible value for a pre-built, just to keep my mind open to any possible options. 

I ran into a build with a 2080ti with a Ryzen 2700X. Would the 2700X be a bottleneck to the 2080ti?
    Also curious, via another build, if the Intel 9700k, given its lack of hyper threading, would be a bottle neck to the 2080ti.

Either way, the system would be used for gaming, streaming, and taking classes on graphics design and video editing.
    Welcome to the forum Camco. This is a little tricky to answer as it will depend on the resolution and refresh rate you intend to use alongside these components. For 1080p gaming, I would say that the 2700X may limit the 2080 Ti if you were pushing for 240hz refresh rates. This is due to the lower clock speeds of the Ryzen 7 2700X and slower architecture design compared to the newer Ryzen 3000 series or Intel 9th gen processors. If you are aiming for 144-165hz, a 2700X would be fine. At 1440p and above, the resource demands shift more towards the GPU instead of the CPU, so you'll be safe at those resolutions. As for the 9700k, you'll be fine at basically any resolution and refresh rate, just be mindful that some titles scale better with Hyperthreading, such as the Far Cry series and GTA 5. This doesn't mean that your performance will be bad, just a little bit smoother if you had hyperthreading enabled. On the other side of that coin, games like MMO's prefer Hyperthreading to be disabled and you can see a performance boost in those games by not having Hyperthreading, so there is always a trade off in this scenario.

Do keep in mind that if you cannot find a prebuilt that meets your requirements or budget, we offer PC building services at all of our stores. It might be a cheaper route to customize your own components and have our service team build the system for you. If you needed a hand picking out parts within a certain budget, let us know, we'd be happy to help!
  • Alright, thanks for the info. I kind of figured that, but with being out of the PC game for so long, I needed a bit more info. 

• You're very welcome. I think you'll be happy with either option, just make sure you pair that 2080 Ti with a good monitor. These days, most of the bottlenecking happens with the monitor. Either the refresh rate is too low, the resolution is too low, or your panel lacks a VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) technology that negatively impacts your gaming experience. Luckily most monitors (and now even TV's) are aiming for higher resolutions/refresh rates and are including VRR tech, so it's definitely worth looking into if your monitor is older. Since you mentioned video editing, it might be worth getting an IPS gaming monitor, since they have great color accuracy on top of low response times, high refresh rates and crisp resolutions. That's just something to keep in mind.

If you have any questions or need anything, let us know.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99