Computer with new RTX2070 shuts down

Options
Hi, I have a new build computer.  It is a Ryzen Threadripper 12 core with 32GB memory and a new RTX2070 super I bought from MicroCenter.  It has a 4year old 750 watt power supply.  When I replace my GeForce 1440 with the new RTX2070, I periodically shuts down.  I've been monitoring the temp of everything and neither the RTX nor the CPU show any signs of over heating, yet putting a large house fan blowing on the motherboard reduces the shutdowns by an order of magnitude. Should I return the graphics card?

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Hello @svankirk! Welcome to the community. 

What kind of motherboard do you have, and where is your graphics card positioned on it? If using a fan to blow air on the system is preventing a shutdown, that almost certainly means something is overheating, the only question is what. My first thought is actually that your chipset on the board is getting too hot and maybe it's because your graphics card is pushing hot air on it, but it's hard to say. 

Any information on the build as a whole would be helpful, and if you could take some nice clear pictures of the internals that could help us narrow it down. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99