Need a Little Help on a LINUX Build

Friends,
I'm in the process of planning a LINUX PC build, and could use some help on validating my choices.  Really looking for any insight/help you can provide.  Also, I'm grateful for the help...
PURPOSE
This PC will be used for general purpose use, web browsing, etc., light gaming, mainly World of Tanks with WINE, and building Virtual Machines to test various Arch builds. Also, I want an upgrade path since I tend to keep my PC.s for 5 year + which is one of the reasons why I love Linux.
I'm also looking at an AMD GPU since they have the best support for Linux, recent driver issues not withstanding.
SPECIFICATIONS
Please have a look and let me know if I'm missing anything or if you have better choices based on your experience I'm all ears...
Thank You!

Comments

• Also, I'd like to keep this build around the $1,000 level
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Hello @Paladin7! Welcome to the Community!

Overall that's a solid build. Depending on how tight that $1000 budget is, you could switch a couple parts out and upgrade your video card. I put this together:

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=8c778a6a-91d0-454c-b2fc-7240d9a9d1d4

I switched out your case and power supply for some slightly cheaper models. The Cooler Master NR600 is overall a solid case for $70 and it does have a mesh front panel, so in terms of cooling it should be similar to the Meshify C. The Powerspec power supply in the build list is our brand which is why it's less expensive than the EVGA one in your list. It's still 80+ Gold and fully modular. We didn't have the SSD or RAM kit in your list, so I found the closest option at a similar price. 

With that in mind I slotted in a 5600XT for your video card. It does put you just over that $1000 mark at $1022 before taxes, so if that's a no-go for you then you can stick with that RX580. 

• Excellent feedback  and food for thought TSTonyV, appreciate it.  I'll look into your recommendations this afternoon...
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99