Slow SMR drives - beware

Options
Just a word of caution, I picked up a new Seagate 8TB because the price was pretty good compared WD (I could get the 8TB Seagate for about the same as the 6TB WD), however once I started copying my data over to the new drive it became clear that something was amiss.  The transfer speed would reach about 100MB/s but then it would slow down to just a few MB/s and sometimes even 0MB/s and then it would catch up and then rise back up, rinse/repeat for every file.  I'm on about hour 22 right now copying my old 6TB drive over this new drive and it still says I have two hours left.  I looked the drive up and unfortunately it looks like I have purchased a SMR drive instead of a CMR drive, so buyer beware when looking into these drive and even some from WD that they are now shipping SMR drives but not mentioning it on the boxes.  I checked the Seagate box for any mention of SMR but found none.  Either way the drive is a major disappointment, especially that it's slower than my 4 year old 6TB WD drive.  :(
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99