Intel 10th Gen Core processors and side topic about game studdering — Micro Center

Intel 10th Gen Core processors and side topic about game studdering

C0v3rt_XC0v3rt_X
edited May 3 in PC Builds
Hello PC Community. I hope you all are safe and well during these times. Before COVID-19 made its name, I purchased a 12 core AMD Ryzen 9_3900X. I love this processor but I have a itch for the new 10th generation CPU's coming out. Should I sell the 3900X and go Intel? Building and upgrading PC's is my hobby and I noticed in gaming, this 3900X is OK with it. My PC is used as a workstation, university and gaming. Virtualization and soon CAD will be a role for this PC. I am also getting game studder and its very annoying. I have tried all the suggestions online. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

  • TSTonyVTSTonyV admin
    Personally, I'd wait on on reviews and benchmarks to come out first. Based on early information I've seen the i9-10900K  is going to have 10 cores/20 threads this time, but that still puts it two short of the 3900X. Depending on the CAD work you may still benefit from those two extra cores, I'm not sure how much virtualization likes multi-threaded performance or not so I can't comment there. We don't know yet how much of a performance uplift the 10th generation will see in single-core performance either and if it would bridge that core/thread gap. 

    Also keep in mind that while we don't have a release date, AMD is working on the fourth generation of Ryzen CPUs. Based on what we know about their 4000-series laptop processors, the desktop CPUs should see another performance upgrade over the 3000 series. We don't know how much but that's the expectation. 

    If it were me, I'd wait until both new generations of CPU were on the market so I could compare their performance and see if it's really worthwhile to upgrade. 
  • TSTonyV said:
    Personally, I'd wait on on reviews and benchmarks to come out first. Based on early information I've seen the i9-10900K  is going to have 10 cores/20 threads this time, but that still puts it two short of the 3900X. Depending on the CAD work you may still benefit from those two extra cores, I'm not sure how much virtualization likes multi-threaded performance or not so I can't comment there. We don't know yet how much of a performance uplift the 10th generation will see in single-core performance either and if it would bridge that core/thread gap. 

    Also keep in mind that while we don't have a release date, AMD is working on the fourth generation of Ryzen CPUs. Based on what we know about their 4000-series laptop processors, the desktop CPUs should see another performance upgrade over the 3000 series. We don't know how much but that's the expectation. 

    If it were me, I'd wait until both new generations of CPU were on the market so I could compare their performance and see if it's really worthwhile to upgrade. 

    Thank you for the reply. In gaming, the 3900X seems to lag a bit. I have tried all the internet fixes. I am running a RTX 2060 Super but I do not think this is the bottleneck. It is really frustrating for every like 3 seconds a micro studder occurs hence with Intel, I never had an issue with that. Seems odd to me.
  • TSTonyVTSTonyV admin
    That does sound odd. Personally speaking, I have a 3700X and have had no issues gaming with it, my experience is very smooth. I have it paired with a 2080 Super, but unless you're trying to push the 2060 Super past its limits it shouldn't be causing any issues either. 

    What kind of motherboard and RAM are you running, and are you utilizing XMP to run the memory at its full speeds? Ryzen CPUs really like fast memory, and it can have some pretty noticeable performance impacts. The only caveat being that even XMP can sometimes be a little unstable. What other fixes did you try?
  • C0v3rt_XC0v3rt_X
    edited May 3
    TSTonyV said:
    That does sound odd. Personally speaking, I have a 3700X and have had no issues gaming with it, my experience is very smooth. I have it paired with a 2080 Super, but unless you're trying to push the 2060 Super past its limits it shouldn't be causing any issues either. 

    What kind of motherboard and RAM are you running, and are you utilizing XMP to run the memory at its full speeds? Ryzen CPUs really like fast memory, and it can have some pretty noticeable performance impacts. The only caveat being that even XMP can sometimes be a little unstable. What other fixes did you try?
    Please see this link. This is what I have did. https://windowsreport.com/fix-pc-stuttering-windows-10/
    I have an ASUS ROG Strix X570-I and G.Skill DDR4-3200MHz 16GB. This RAM is currently running at 2133 MHz after resetting the BIOS. I will game later tonight and report my findings. No I do not overclock at all. I am not a fan of it.

  • TSTonyVTSTonyV admin
    Thank you. One thing I'll point out on that link is that turning V-Sync on is the exact opposite of what I'd do. V-Sync is notorious for causing stuttering problems even though it's supposed to prevent them. I would keep that setting off, and if V-Sync is on in any of your in-game settings, I would turn them off as well.

    If you have a Freesync or G-Sync monitor, those technologies are different than the V-Sync settings mentioned in that guide and they should help with stuttering, but your mileage may vary. I would try turning Freesync/G-Sync on and off and see how that affects things. 

    If you're still getting stuttering with the RAM running at the default speeds, I would try turning on XMP in your BIOS so you can run it at 3200MHz and see if that makes a difference at all. You really shouldn't have any problems running your memory at the full speed it's rated for. 
  • C0v3rt_XC0v3rt_X
    edited May 3
    TSTonyV said:
    Thank you. One thing I'll point out on that link is that turning V-Sync on is the exact opposite of what I'd do. V-Sync is notorious for causing stuttering problems even though it's supposed to prevent them. I would keep that setting off, and if V-Sync is on in any of your in-game settings, I would turn them off as well.

    If you have a Freesync or G-Sync monitor, those technologies are different than the V-Sync settings mentioned in that guide and they should help with stuttering, but your mileage may vary. I would try turning Freesync/G-Sync on and off and see how that affects things. 

    If you're still getting stuttering with the RAM running at the default speeds, I would try turning on XMP in your BIOS so you can run it at 3200MHz and see if that makes a difference at all. You really shouldn't have any problems running your memory at the full speed it's rated for. 
    Whats odd is, the game will studder initially then go away. About half an hour later, it comes back as the game scenes change then its an onslaught from there. Well I just did some gaming on 2 different games and all seems to be working.  I guess the 3900X is picky about memory speeds so I will leave it as default. What I also notice is once the micro studdering starts, there is no end and sometimes it will freeze for a good millisecond then resume normally.  I will turn off V-Sync and see what happens. I plan to leave G-Sync on. I am running a 144Hz 1440p gaming monitor by Dell using Displayport and have a dual screen setup. I am ruling out the PSU since 650 watt is plenty.

  • TSMikeWTSMikeW admin
    From the description, particularly when you describe the scenery change and the micro stutters appears and become consistent. It sounds like you're running out of memory, which is possible at 16GB, but it really shouldn't be. This is more an issue of game optimization or the game not clearing the cached RAM properly. The next time this happens, check task manager. CPU, RAM and GPU usage. Let us know what they're at.
  • TSTonyV said:
    Thank you. One thing I'll point out on that link is that turning V-Sync on is the exact opposite of what I'd do. V-Sync is notorious for causing stuttering problems even though it's supposed to prevent them. I would keep that setting off, and if V-Sync is on in any of your in-game settings, I would turn them off as well.

    If you have a Freesync or G-Sync monitor, those technologies are different than the V-Sync settings mentioned in that guide and they should help with stuttering, but your mileage may vary. I would try turning Freesync/G-Sync on and off and see how that affects things. 

    If you're still getting stuttering with the RAM running at the default speeds, I would try turning on XMP in your BIOS so you can run it at 3200MHz and see if that makes a difference at all. You really shouldn't have any problems running your memory at the full speed it's rated for. 

    Tony, Disabling V-Sync proved to be a disaster. Micro studdering left and right then only a few minutes of smooth play then back to the studdering.
  • C0v3rt_XC0v3rt_X
    edited May 3
    TSMikeW said:
    From the description, particularly when you describe the scenery change and the micro stutters appears and become consistent. It sounds like you're running out of memory, which is possible at 16GB, but it really shouldn't be. This is more an issue of game optimization or the game not clearing the cached RAM properly. The next time this happens, check task manager. CPU, RAM and GPU usage. Let us know what they're at.

    Mike, I think the issue is now resolved but I will check right now actually. So this being a 12 core 24 thread 3900X, The CPU usage stays in the 20's-30's percentage Max. I am getting a steady 45% for Memory. GPU usage is low as well. The game is Gears 5.
  • C0v3rt_XC0v3rt_X
    edited May 3
    Mike and Tony, thank you both for your assistance. I am not getting anymore game studdering but a smooth game play experience. I enabled D.O.C.P in the BIOS which is AMD equivalent of Intel XMP. My memory is running at 3200MHz as advertised speed and I plan to leave it that way. I checked with NVIDIA and the games I got is all optimized in the control panel of theirs. I hope my troubles benefit any new comers who have this issue. But I do think a 2060 Super has reached a limit of handling 1440p 144Hz. I think a 2070 Super or a 2080Ti would be a beneficial upgrade later down the road. I have no interests in the 3000 series coming out from NVIDIA anytime soon. I do hope there is some sort of a price cut for the RTX 2000 series cards.
  • TSTonyVTSTonyV admin
    The 2000 series should see some price drops when the 3000 series hits, if past history is anything to go by. 
  • Agreed Tony. I am happy with my 100+ FPS. So check this out, My FPS used to be capped at 60 but Dell has hidden away an option to change the response time for this being a gaming monitor. I guess that is why I was getting the studdering as well. I reserved a 32GB 3600MHz memory to go pick up today. I was reading online that although 3200MHz is the sweet spot, The infinity fabric will greatly benefit from 3600MHz. I also realized Gears 5 takes up almost 50% of 16GB and on the occasion, I have programs running in the background so 32 GB is a worthy upgrade.
  • TSMikeWTSMikeW admin
    edited May 6
    Infinity fabric's default clock is 3600Mhz. Ideally that's what you want with Zen 2, you want run the clocks synchronously. If you run asynchronous you take a 5ns latency hit.
  • That's correct mike. I am running in 3600MHz now. I can wager the tech nerds like ourselves will rush to buy up the 3000 series GPU's once it hits the shelves of many Microcenters. I am not really an avid of AMD due to their recent lawsuit but I will sell this system in the future when 10th gen comes out, and rebuild my ITX system by just replacing the CPU and motherboard. Also I know this is a late thread but how come you guys don't usually stock ITX boards? Is it not that popular?
  • C0v3rt_X said:
    That's correct mike. I am running in 3600MHz now. I can wager the tech nerds like ourselves will rush to buy up the 3000 series GPU's once it hits the shelves of many Microcenters. I am not really an avid of AMD due to their recent lawsuit but I will sell this system in the future when 10th gen comes out, and rebuild my ITX system by just replacing the CPU and motherboard. Also I know this is a late thread but how come you guys don't usually stock ITX boards? Is it not that popular?
    This is a good question. Sadly I don't know the answer myself, but I would imagine the price premium that comes with ITX boards coupled with the more niche market of ITX in general makes it less profitable to carry. I'd imagine there is only a finite amount of shelf space, so it would make sense to stock up on things the majority of customers are looking for, but this is just a theory.

    I personally enjoy ITX builds and would love to do a build in the recently released Sliger console cases. Sadly I am too addicted to custom water loops these days, and it would drive me insane trying to figure out how to fit a custom loop in a 10L ITX chassis. My last ITX build was back when I had my 7700K and an ASRock Z170 Fatality ITX board, so it's been a few years now.
  • C0v3rt_XC0v3rt_X
    edited May 19
    @TSMichaelB - Yeah. I prefer an AIO though Lol. And yeah that's my theory as well. I only shop ASUS for ITX motherboards. The last time I got a ITX mobo combo was the Z390-I and it was the last one in stock. Wow 7700k is still relevant bro. I have the 3900X+X570-I ITX setup.
Sign In or Register to comment.