Suitable CPU cooler (non-water) for i7-9700K

JasonA
JasonA ✭✭
Name Dropper First Comment
Looking for recommendations regarding a suitable CPU fan and radiator to suit this CPU. The main workload will be Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom Classic- and maybe running some Linux VMs under VirtualBox. I am not going to be doing any sort of gaming.
I really don't want to go down the path of water cooling.  I don't even want any fancy RGB lighting  I just want a cooler that sits on the CPU and attaches to the motherboard, i.e. just a plain setup that keeps my CPU cool.
If it makes any difference I'm looking at the Gigabyte Z390 UD motherboard as my preferred option.

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    If you're not overclocking the stock cooler is fine. If you want to upgrade, I would go with the Cooler Master EVO 212. It's been the best budget air cooler for a very long time. It's a 120mm cooler, it's no slouch, it would support overclocking. If you want the want to go beyond that we have the Noctua NH-U14S, but it's a 165mm tall monster. You have to be mindful of clearance between the motherboard and the side panel.
  • JasonA
    JasonA ✭✭
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2020
    Will the Cooler Master EVO 212 fit OK into the Corsair SPEC-02 RED case that you have ? That's what I'm thinking about, and I am a bit nervous about the cooler size relative to the case itself.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    According to the manufacturer specifications, it's 4mm too tall for the chassis. I mentioned some alternative cases in your other post.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99