Suitable CPU cooler (non-water) for i7-9700K — Micro Center

Suitable CPU cooler (non-water) for i7-9700K

JasonAJasonA
edited May 20 in Help Choosing Parts
Looking for recommendations regarding a suitable CPU fan and radiator to suit this CPU. The main workload will be Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom Classic- and maybe running some Linux VMs under VirtualBox. I am not going to be doing any sort of gaming.
I really don't want to go down the path of water cooling.  I don't even want any fancy RGB lighting  I just want a cooler that sits on the CPU and attaches to the motherboard, i.e. just a plain setup that keeps my CPU cool.
If it makes any difference I'm looking at the Gigabyte Z390 UD motherboard as my preferred option.

Comments

• TSMikeWTSMikeW admin
    If you're not overclocking the stock cooler is fine. If you want to upgrade, I would go with the Cooler Master EVO 212. It's been the best budget air cooler for a very long time. It's a 120mm cooler, it's no slouch, it would support overclocking. If you want the want to go beyond that we have the Noctua NH-U14S, but it's a 165mm tall monster. You have to be mindful of clearance between the motherboard and the side panel.
  • JasonAJasonA
    edited May 21
    Will the Cooler Master EVO 212 fit OK into the Corsair SPEC-02 RED case that you have ? That's what I'm thinking about, and I am a bit nervous about the cooler size relative to the case itself.
  • TSMikeWTSMikeW admin
    According to the manufacturer specifications, it's 4mm too tall for the chassis. I mentioned some alternative cases in your other post.