Case fans and Ram

Hello everyone,
So I have one issue (fans) and another "potential issue" (ram):

1) Out of nowhere, my fans have began to run at max rpm ONLY when the computer is left at idle for 10-15 minutes. When I am gaming and using the computer in some way, the fans stay at their standard rpm (~50% max speed), but if I step away from the computer (shortly after the monitor goes to sleep) the fans begin run at 100% rpm. I've never had this happen before, and I find it ironically backwards that they stay normal under load, but ramp up to max at idle.

2) I have DDR4-3200 CL16 ram installed, but I just recently noticed that HWMonitor says that my ram is DDR4-2666. My BIOS shows 3200, but for whatever reason HWMonitor does not. Is that an issue or should I trust that the BIOS is the most accurate and the application is simply wrong? If it means anything, a couple weeks back when I had the HWMonitor open, it appeared to only be registering one of the sticks of ram (PC restart fixed that). I've also began to have issues where at startup the RGB settings (from the Ballistix MOD software) sometimes don't load the light settings or just one of the two sticks registers the light settings.

Thank you for the support!

CPU: R5 3.6 GHz 2600x (OC'd to 3.9 Ghz)
AIO: Cooler Master ML240L 240mm
MB: Aorus B450 Pro Wifi
RAM: Ballistix RGB DDR4-3200 CL16 2x8GB (OC'd to 3333 Mhz)
GC: Sapphire 5600 XT stock OC'd
HD: Inland Pro 2.5" 512GB TLC SSD
PSU: PowerSpec 550 Watt 80+ Bronze Non-Modular 
Case: Corsiar 275R Mid-Tower

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    First things first, have you tried restoring your default BIOS settings or clearing your CMOS? I think that's the quickest and easiest thing you could do. Fan speeds can be controlled in your BIOS and it's possible a setting is out of whack. 

As for the RAM, usually I would trust the BIOS, as sometimes software in Windows can mis-report RAM speeds. That said, you can use mutliple applications to see if they're consistent. I would check using Task Manager, CPU-Z, HWinfo and Aida64. For CPU-Z just keep in mind that DRAM frequency will be listed at half (So if you have DDR4-3200, it would show 1600 MHz)
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99