My power spec 850w psu does not fit in my case

Options
I have recently purchased a new power supply from micro center and I tried putting it in my corsair crystal 570x atx mid tower and it is too tall. Aren’t all atx parts supposed to fit in atx cases?

Comments

• Jibby
    Options
    Now when I try to press the power button when the psu is out of the case I hear a spark noise and the water block light flash on for a split second then off. Unrelated to the first post but what could this mean?
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Hello @Jibby! Welcome to the Community. 

ATX power supplies should all be standard width/height, the only thing that should be different is the length. I'm wondering if maybe you had it flipped the wrong way or something like that, because I don't think there's any reason it shouldn't fit in that case. 

That said, a sparking noise could be cause for concern. How loud is the noise, and did actually you see any sparks anywhere? If so, I'd definitely bring it back. 

If not, try jumping the power supply. If it the PSU doesn't turn on when you go through this process, it's probably bad. https://bit-tech.net/guides/modding/how-to-jump-a-psu/1/
  • Jibby
    Options
    It worked while i was testing it before i put it in the case now it doesnt work. I have already done this on 2 power supplies. That had appeared to work fine until i tried putting it in the case
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    The width and height of ATX power supplies is standard. What you'll see though is with high wattage units they tend to be longer. So this can create problems with cases that have limited room for a power supply. It can hit a fan or another obstruction. Tends to only be  a problem with 850W or greater power supplies.

It definitely sounds like you're experiencing an electrical short, doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the power supply. If the power supply is shorted you'll usually hear a rather loud click inside the power supply. Sounds like a solenoid switch. If the motherboard is shorting, you'll get that brief flicker of light, maybe a quarter turn of a fan.  Check your stand offs, make sure you don't have an extra that were left underneath the board, this can cause a short. Check the metal tab son your I/O shield. Uninstall all of your front header cables to see if any of those could be causing it.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99