Disappointing experience today

Options
I went in today to order a custom desktop computer build.  We started going over the parts I was looking to use and it turned out that the motherboard type I was looking for (an X570 chipset) is out of stock.  I said that I'm not in a rush, and that they could just build the computer when the parts come in.  I was told that is not an option, that I cannot put a computer on order unless all of the parts are available or, in the alternative, I could buy the available parts, wait until the missing parts come back into stock (but they have no idea when that might happen), and then buy those and only order the build at that time.  What kind of computer store won't let you put in a build order and wait for the parts to restock?

Comments

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, @JEllis. I can certainly understand the frustration given the circumstances, especially with X570's limited availability in general across the entire industry. The problem with putting parts on hold and waiting for other parts to be available is that those parts just might never be available. While we try our best to anticipate product availability, there are just some things that we cannot predict, and we don't want to leave you or other customers waiting for something that may never arrive. This is especially difficult when you have supply shortages as a result of this pandemic or manufacturing delays such as AMD's B550 delay causing a higher demand for the currently available (but extremely limited) X570 chipsets. While we offer the option to reserve some items online for up to 72 hours, some higher demand items are ineligible for reservation as a means of keeping things fair by offering those items on a first come, first serve basis.

If I could offer some personal advice based on my past experiences, it's always better to wait and build a system completely than to try to piece it together over time. I've been burned quite a few times by new hardware coming out just as I was gathering all of the necessary components to complete a build. It never feels good to invest in a processor, motherboard or graphics card only to see newer, faster hardware come out and I am stuck with older hardware beyond my return period. 

If you need help piecing together a system using alternative components or had any questions about your component selection or anything in general, please let us know!
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes Photogenic
    edited June 2020
    Options
    It's not MC's fault.  Here's some details.  In fact MC is mentioned as one of the BIG dogs along with Amazon.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0whCHfejM18  This demonstrates how fragile the supply chain can be.  If the US hadn't pressured TSMC to dump Huawei, their #2 customer which also controls the 5g technology, we probably wouldn't have been seeing much 7um silicon for CPU & GPU.  
  • Kari
    Options
    @TSMichaelB you mentioned AMD's B550 delay in your answer. I just tried to get info about B550 schedule via your chat but they didn't have any info. Do you know more about delay and when you expect to have those available? PRIME B550M-A Wify is what I'm looking for and 6/16 supposed to be launch date.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes Photogenic
    Options
    Kari said:
    @TSMichaelB you mentioned AMD's B550 delay in your answer. I just tried to get info about B550 schedule via your chat but they didn't have any info. Do you know more about delay and when you expect to have those available? PRIME B550M-A Wify is what I'm looking for and 6/16 supposed to be launch date.
    B550 release & pricing on June 16th.  Articles I saw expect availability in early July.
    I've seen some X570s but they disappear quickly.
  • Kari
    Options
    Kari said:
    B550 release & pricing on June 16th.  Articles I saw expect availability in early July.
    I've seen some X570s but they disappear quickly.

Thanks Chris! This is best  info so far and maybe I'll wait since not in a hurry.
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    Kari said:
    The only info I have about the delay is what was circulated online through various tech media outlets. As for when we will carry them, I don't have details on that either but I hope that we have them when the products officially launch. As @cine_chris mentioned, AMD has announced a June 16th launch date, but the selection available on that date may not be great depending on whether or not the various manufacturers had enough time to build up a steady supply. It's going to be a  "wait and see" situation, especially with the high demand.

There were also rumors that the pricing of these boards were higher than what B450 launched at, and were closer to X570. Hopefully these are just rumors, as I would like to see more budget board options available. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99