PowerSpec G706 Slow Downloads

Options
I noticed that since I purchased the G706, download speeds are averaging about 17-20MBPS but it’s not my internet because all my other devices are downloading at an average of 120-150MBPS. Any ideas on what could be limiting the bandwidth on this PC? 

Also, I recently installed a secondary NVME 4.0 with 4,950MBPS Read capacity but during testing, I noticed that both my primary and my secondary NVME drives are running at 600MBPS on both read and write. Any suggestions on how to correct this issue as well would be much appreciated 

Comments

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    NCDetroit said:
    I noticed that since I purchased the G706, download speeds are averaging about 17-20MBPS but it’s not my internet because all my other devices are downloading at an average of 120-150MBPS. Any ideas on what could be limiting the bandwidth on this PC? 

Also, I recently installed a secondary NVME 4.0 with 4,950MBPS Read capacity but during testing, I noticed that both my primary and my secondary NVME drives are running at 600MBPS on both read and write. Any suggestions on how to correct this issue as well would be much appreciated 
    This can be pretty tricky to answer as we have to go through a few questions to help narrow down on the variables. First and foremost, are you testing with WiFi or via LAN through the RJ45 Ethernet port?

If testing through WiFi, how far away is the access point you are connecting to, and are there other devices nearby on the same wireless band that may be interfering with your signal?

If you are testing via Ethernet, are you plugged in through a router or directly to a modem? If using a router, can you test directly from the modem to your PC? This will rule out any weird configuration issues on the router that may be bottlenecking your overall bandwidth.

As for the transfer speeds on your SSD's, what are you using to test these speeds? Are you testing by simply transferring files? Or are you using benchmarking software such as CrystalDiskMark or AS SSD? If you are doing a traditional file transfer, it's important to understand that the advertised speeds of your SSD is referring to sequential transfers and requires that both the source and destination device support those speeds or you will be bottlenecked by one or the other. If you are getting those speeds in a benchmarking application, that is going to be a concern as you are somehow being limited to nearly SATA 6Gbps speeds, which should not be the case for your drives.

Looking at your motherboard specifications in the G706, there doesn't appear to be anything that should be limiting your bandwidth: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X570%20Pro4/index.asp#Specification
    - 1 x Hyper M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen4x4 (64 Gb/s) (with Matisse) or Gen3x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Pinnacle Ridge and Picasso)*
    - 1 x Hyper M.2 Socket (M2_3), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen4x4 (64 Gb/s) (with Matisse) or Gen3x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Pinnacle Ridge and Picasso)

* If Thunderbolt™ support is enabled, SATA type M.2 will be disabled.
    Supports NVMe SSD as boot disks
    Supports ASRock U.2 Kit

Matisse is the code name AMD uses for their Ryzen 3000 series processors, and your system is equipped with a Ryzen 7 3700X, so it meets those requirements just fine. Once we have additional information on your testing methodology, I'll try to replicate it on my end to see whats going on.
  • NCDetroit
    Options
    I apologize for the salted response. I didn’t realize you had answered yet. I figured out the SSD Speed. Benchmark is showing sequential read of 4,123 and sequential write at 4,025 so I’m good there.

as for Internet speed, I’m using WiFi with the hub located 9 feet from the PC. I have tried with other devices turned and with other devices unplugged but I still get the same speed which is an average between 17-21 MBPS download. My line speed averages between 150-250 MBPS depending on time of day 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99