PowerSpec G507 - Green screen crashes — Micro Center

PowerSpec G507 - Green screen crashes

I received my PowerSpec G507 (AMD Radeon 3600 processor and AMD RX 5700 GPU) desktop on 7/4/20 (actually purchased two).  One of the computers has had problems with the GPU as every once in a while it green screens and then restarts the system.  It has happened 7 times (in a little over 8 days) since I got it. 5 times I was playing a game called Destiny 2 and the other two times was when I brought up Chrome and the AMD Radeon Software. 

The other G507 computer did receive a black screen the first day but once we updated the driver to 20.5.1 through the AMD Radeon Software it has been working fine.

I have updated to the latest drivers (both 20.5.1 and 20.7.1) through the AMD Radeon Software but after getting four green screens in one day I followed the instructions on the Micro Center website and downloaded the DDU driver remover and removed the driver.  I installed the driver from the Micro Center website for the Radeon 5700 (20.1.3) and it worked great all day yesterday.  I was in game for close to 14 hours without a green screen.  Unfortunately, I had a green screen this morning when I brought up my browser - Chrome.   I have also updated to the latest Motherboard drivers for the ASRock B450M/AC. 

I have not overclocked my CPU or GPU since it does not seem stable enough, besides it runs fast just like it is.   
I chatted with someone on the Micro Center website and they directed me here.   I have been monitoring the GPU temp using the AMD Radeon software and it seems fine.  Any other suggestions?

Comments

  • JonN said:
    I received my PowerSpec G507 (AMD Radeon 3600 processor and AMD RX 5700 GPU) desktop on 7/4/20 (actually purchased two).  One of the computers has had problems with the GPU as every once in a while it green screens and then restarts the system.  It has happened 7 times (in a little over 8 days) since I got it. 5 times I was playing a game called Destiny 2 and the other two times was when I brought up Chrome and the AMD Radeon Software. 

    The other G507 computer did receive a black screen the first day but once we updated the driver to 20.5.1 through the AMD Radeon Software it has been working fine.

    I have updated to the latest drivers (both 20.5.1 and 20.7.1) through the AMD Radeon Software but after getting four green screens in one day I followed the instructions on the Micro Center website and downloaded the DDU driver remover and removed the driver.  I installed the driver from the Micro Center website for the Radeon 5700 (20.1.3) and it worked great all day yesterday.  I was in game for close to 14 hours without a green screen.  Unfortunately, I had a green screen this morning when I brought up my browser - Chrome.   I have also updated to the latest Motherboard drivers for the ASRock B450M/AC. 

    I have not overclocked my CPU or GPU since it does not seem stable enough, besides it runs fast just like it is.   
    I chatted with someone on the Micro Center website and they directed me here.   I have been monitoring the GPU temp using the AMD Radeon software and it seems fine.  Any other suggestions?
    Welcome to the forum, @JonN, sorry to hear you're having issues with your PowerSpec G507. It's odd that reverting the driver down to 20.1.3 allowed you to use the system for so long without an issue, yet it presented itself again today. During that time, do you recall any updates that may have been performed? Can you double-check the version of the graphics driver to see if it updated?

    Lastly, I believe the G507 ships with Windows 10 1909. Can you attempt to update it to Windows 10 2004 and see if that helps at all? My initial thoughts is that WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model) might be corrupted, causing the graphics driver to break over time, or simply handling it improperly. Updating to Windows 10 2004 should get you a brand new version of WDDM as well to go with your GPU. 

    Here is a link to the update: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445

    If this fails, we may need to perform a clean installation of Windows 10 using the media creation tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. This will rule out any OS corruption and other software issues, but I would use it as a last ditch effort as we'd like to try to avoid having to reinstall applications unless absolutely necessary. Let us know the results.
  • Thank you for the quick response and welcoming me to the forum.  I checked the AMD Radeon software and the driver is still 20.1.3 and offers to upgrade to 20.7.1.  I did not update anything else after I removed the driver using the DDU driver remover and installed the 20.1.3 driver.  You are correct the G507 ships with Windows 10 1909 but I was not able to upgrade it to Windows 10 2004.  It gave the following: 

    This PC can't be upgraded to Window 10.
    Your PC settings aren't supported yet on this version of Window 10.  Microsoft is working to support your settings soon.  No action is needed.  Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically when these settings are support.

    Do I need to perform a clean install like you suggested above?

  • It's interesting that it gave you that error. A clean installation would be ideal as it would rule out any of the aforementioned corruption issues with WDDM and would rule out software entirely as the culprit. If you do go that route, be mindful that you'll need to reinstall your applications, so a data backup would be recommended if you have the means of doing so.

    In the meantime, I'll grab a G507 and see if I am presented with the same error when attempting to perform the in-place upgrade. The hardware configuration is definitely compatible with Windows 10 2004.
  • I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 2004 a second time and got the same error.  If I do a clean install do I have to download and reinstall the games that I have added or does it just re install windows?
  • JonN said:
    I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 2004 a second time and got the same error.  If I do a clean install do I have to download and reinstall the games that I have added or does it just re install windows?
    Correct, a clean installation will remove anything on the system including your games and personal folders/documents. If you have a means to backup your data to an external drive, I would recommend doing so to save you time from having to redownload everything. 
  • JonNJonN
    edited July 14
    I will do it today.  What GPU driver should I install 20.1.3 or 20.7.1?  Also the link you gave me to reinstall Windows 10 is Windows 10 Pro or does it go by the key I will use?
  • I would recommend trying the latest graphics driver as that will have the best optimizations for the newest video games. As for the installation, the tool should automatically determine the version you need during the download. The G507 shipped with Windows 10 Pro, so that should be fine. The Windows 10 license key is embedded in the board firmware so it will automatically activate Windows when a network connection is established after installation, so you shouldn't need to do much more other than download drivers and test your games.
  • Sounds good, thank you, I will give it a try.
  • I was able to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro and it even installed 2004 like you wanted.  Not sure why it would not upgrade to it before though.  I believe I installed all the drivers for the Asrock motherboard and the Radeon RX 5700 gpu but the Device Manager is showing under Other devices - PIC Device (2) and PCI Encryption/Decryption Controller (1) with a ! next to it.  Not sure if I have given you enough information but what driver am I missing?
  • JonN said:
    I was able to do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro and it even installed 2004 like you wanted.  Not sure why it would not upgrade to it before though.  I believe I installed all the drivers for the Asrock motherboard and the Radeon RX 5700 gpu but the Device Manager is showing under Other devices - PIC Device (2) and PCI Encryption/Decryption Controller (1) with a ! next to it.  Not sure if I have given you enough information but what driver am I missing?
    Sounds like it's missing a piece of the chipset driver. Give this a shot: https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/amd_chipset_software_2.04.28.626.exe. This will get you the latest AMD B450 chipset drivers which should include the PCIe subdomain controller.
  • That was it, thank you. :)
  • Awesome! Let us know if you still experience the green screen issue. We'll do whatever we can to help get to the bottom of it.
  • Unfortunately it just green screen again and the system restarted.  I was playing Destiny 2 and used alt tab and brought up File Explorer and the green screen happened.  It was working fine until right now.  I have the latest Radeon RX 5700 drivers per the software which is 20.7.2.   What should I do now?
  • Hmm, let's check your AMD settings to see if anything stands out. Can you attach a picture of the following graphics settings page?


    You can reach this by right clicking your desktop, selecting AMD Radeon Software, then click the gear icon, followed by Graphics.
  • JonNJonN
    edited July 16
    It should be the default settings as I have not made any changes except for changing it to Gaming.
  • Could you open programs and features (appwiz.cpl from run) and show us a screenshot of the programs you have installed?
  • Here is what I have installed. 
  • Nothing there that's likely to be a culprit here. Lets try something different. First, lets run DDU again. Make sure to select the option to disable automatic driver updates, so that it doesn't install a driver. After you reboot. I would like you to download the AMD drivers. Extract the package with 7zip then we'll do a manual update from Device Manager. Update driver software on the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" then choose the option to browse, and direct it to the extracted folder. Let it find a driver only and not install Radeon package, and we'll see if the issue persists.

    This should tell us whether it's an issue with the GPU itself, or if it's an issue with a profile that's being applied to the card.
  • Alright I have installed the AMD Radeon RX 5700 driver only through Device manager without the AMD Software.  I will let you know how it goes.  If it turns out it is a GPU issue am I able to RMA the GPU only or do I have to send in the entire desktop?  I am hoping the GPU only as it would take me only a minute to install and I would not have to wait days/weeks to get the computer sent to only install a new GPU and ship it back.  Also if this works fine now aren't I losing out on free sync and maybe something else without the software installed? 

    Thanks again for all your help. :)
  • I had another green screen / restart just now.  I will start the RMA process.  Thank you for all your help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file