New build in existing case

Options
I have a case in good shape with a 750W power supply and my MSI GTX1080 still does the job.  The I5 CPU is showing its age and I am looking at the below build to boost it.  Thoughts?  Will Microcenter rebuild in an existing case, because I am leery of installing a motherboard.

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    Hello @Shogei! Welcome to the Community. 

We can definitely do rebuilds in an existing case, though the labor charges will be the same for the build. I do have one question though: are you buying the 10700k for a specific reason? In gaming, the 10600k is pretty much the same, perhaps 1-2% behind, but costs quite a bit less so it's a much better overall value if you're just gaming on your system. 

Also, he cooler you selected is also a little underpowered. It's a low profile cooler and is designed for processors that don't run as hot as the 10700k (or the 10600k really). You'd be better off with something like the Noctua NH-U14S.
  • Shogei
    Options
    The 10600K sounds good if that is a minor difference. I will take a look at the cooler as well.  I expected that the build fee would be the same.

Thanks,
  • Shogei
    Options
    OK, I've altered those two items.  The NH-U14S is out of stock, however.  Is there a good replacement or should I wait for it?

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    If you want to upgrade, you could go with a Noctua NH-D15 or D15S, or the NH-U12S for a bit of a downgrade. The NH-D15 fairly large so keep that in mind. 

If you're planning on doing some heavy overclocking, I'd go for the NH-U14S or NH-D15, or you could go with an AIO liquid cooler like the Corsair H100i. 

Other good coolers you could look at (that we don't carry) would the Be Quite Dark Rock Pro 4 and Noctua NH-U12A. 
  • Shogei
    Options
    I don't plan on doing a lot of overclocking. 
    I did notice that few coolers list LGA 1200 as a compatible socket.  Is there overlap with the LGA 115x sockets?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    LGA 1200 mounting is the same size as 115x. There should be no compatibility issues.
  • Shogei
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.  I dropped the case and parts list off at Microcenter Fairfax this afternoon.  B)
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99