Help with upgrading old gaming PC

I can't play a lot of the new games anymore. So I need advice on how to upgrade my old system. I am getting all my parts from Micro Center since I built it there last time. I am keeping my large corsairs case, mouse, keyboard, hard drive, and monitor. Just need the internal stuff. I have limited funds: $800. Also like to expand into a SSD.  Thanks for your time.

16 gigs ram
windows 10 home edition 64 bit
intel core i7-2600k cpu @ 3.4ghz, 3401 Mhz, 4 cores, 8 logical processors
Asustek motherboard, Sobertooth P67 rev 1.xx
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti, Msi Twin Frozr 2
Corsairs  Case (large case)

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited July 2020
    Firs things first, have you registered your copy of Windows 10 to a Microsoft account? If not, you should do that because it'll make it easier to re-use your copy, even if you do a hardware change you'll still probably be able to reactive if its registered. 

Second, what kind of PSU do you have? I assume it's probably at least 500W, and you should be able to re-use it if it's not been causing any issues. 

With a budget of $800, you could pretty easily get a nice upgrade for your GPU as well as your CPU, though the CPU will have to come with a new motherboard and RAM. This is probably what I'd go with:

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=a1b348a7-9a7c-411e-a898-c7f2e91f3211

The Ryzen 5 3600 is an all around great value, and you can pair it with a 2060 Super which will be a huge upgrade over a 560ti. If this is a little too close to your budget, you can drop down to a Ryzen 3 3300X for your CPU instead to leave a little more wiggle room, or switch out for a smaller SSD. The Ryzen 3 3300X is very similar to the i7-7700k from a few years ago if you want to get a good idea of what kind of performance to expect. 

• I got AX 850 Corsairs power supple
  • Ian
    Ian admin
    5 Insightfuls 5 Likes First Anniversary 5 LOLs
    If it's an 850W, then you will have more than enough to run what Tony linked above. 
  • Ian said:
    If it's an 850W, then you will have more than enough to run what Tony linked above. 
    Thats probably one of the largest understatements of 2020 o.o @Hecmanstar could if they want go as far as a 2070 Super with a CPU upgrade  and still would probs have about 200 watts plus of power head room 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99