First build in 15 years, looking for feedback

My goal with this build is for moderate gaming with demanding AAA titles. 
My monitor is 144Hz 1ms 1080p

CPU- AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.6Hz 8-Core (Curious if the provided cooler will be efficient or if I should opt for a AOI liquid cooler)

Board- ASUS B450-F ROG STRIX ATX

RAM- G.Skill 16gb(8x2) DDR4 3600

PSU- Corsair RM750 80+ Gold Fully modular

GPU- EVGA RTX 2070 Super

Storage- 1TB M.2 SSD with 2TB 7200RPM SATA III

TIA for any help!

Comments

• HOLLY BLEP that is a over powered cpu with this build >.> could drop to a 3600 and still get pretty good CPU power. 

As to the cooler it depends what is your usage. If its streaming games or playing at 2 to 4K for long periods you might want water cooling. (Aio)

And why not go for a 2k Monitor with that GPU and CPU power. a 1080 would be a waste you would be doing 200 FPS easy with this build. XD. 
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    My goal with this build is for moderate gaming with demanding AAA titles. 

CPU- AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.6Hz 8-Core (Curious if the provided cooler will be efficient or if I should opt for a AOI liquid cooler)

GPU- EVGA RTX 2070 Super

TIA for any help!

Build looks pretty solid to me. The CPU's included cooler should be fine, assuming you don't plan to do any overclocking. I've gone as far as using the stock cooler from a 3700X on a 3950X and didn't find myself thermal throttling, but it does get quite warm. An AIO would be a good idea if you wanted to try your hand at overclocking or wanted more quieter acoustics.

I also second @BubbleMax 's opinion that a 1440p panel would be ideal for your GPU configuration. You'd not only get more desktop real estate for your general work usage, you'll see a nice improvement in image sharpness with a higher pixel density monitor. Here is a list of 1440p high refresh rate gaming monitors sorted by price: https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&sortby=pricelow&N=4294966896+4294821085+4294819460+4294816094+4294815396&myStore=true.

BubbleMax said:
    HOLLY BLEP that is a over powered cpu with this build >.> could drop to a 3600 and still get pretty good CPU power. 

As to the cooler it depends what is your usage. If its streaming games or playing at 2 to 4K for long periods you might want water cooling. (Aio)

And why not go for a 2k Monitor with that GPU and CPU power. a 1080 would be a waste you would be doing 200 FPS easy with this build. XD. 
    I wouldn't consider the CPU overpowered for this build, it's actually quite balanced. For gaming, the 3700X doesn't perform all that differently from a 3600, but the 3700X holds a clear advantage if OP plans to stream while gaming and opts to use software encoding. That, and future titles may find themselves taking advantage of the additional processing threads, resulting in better frame consistency in the future. It's still cheaper than the 3800X, 3900X, and 3950X.

Another thing to remember is that as you run your games at a higher resolution, your processor actually does less work, and would actually run a fair bit cooler as it handles less draw calls for frames. If he opted to use a 4k panel and only achieved 60fps, it would be twice as easy on the processor to process half the draw calls, if that makes any sense. With that being said, higher refresh rates will absolutely cause the CPU to run hotter, so those that plan to utilize a 240hz panel will absolutely need to make sure their CPU is not only fast enough to handle the excessive amounts of draw calls, but also cool enough to maintain that clock speed requirement.
  • My goal with this build is for moderate gaming with demanding AAA titles. 

GPU- EVGA RTX 2070 Super

TIA for any help!

Build looks pretty solid to me. The CPU's included cooler should be fine, assuming you don't plan to do any overclocking. I've gone as far as using the stock cooler from a 3700X on a 3950X and didn't find myself thermal throttling, but it does get quite warm. An AIO would be a good idea if you wanted to try your hand at overclocking or wanted more quieter acoustics.

I also second @BubbleMax 's opinion that a 1440p panel would be ideal for your GPU configuration. You'd not only get more desktop real estate for your general work usage, you'll see a nice improvement in image sharpness with a higher pixel density monitor. Here is a list of 1440p high refresh rate gaming monitors sorted by price: https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&sortby=pricelow&N=4294966896+4294821085+4294819460+4294816094+4294815396&myStore=true.

BubbleMax said:
    HOLLY BLEP that is a over powered cpu with this build >.> could drop to a 3600 and still get pretty good CPU power. 

I wouldn't consider the CPU overpowered for this build, it's actually quite balanced. For gaming, the 3700X doesn't perform all that differently from a 3600, but the 3700X holds a clear advantage if OP plans to stream while gaming and opts to use software encoding. That, and future titles may find themselves taking advantage of the additional processing threads, resulting in better frame consistency in the future. It's still cheaper than the 3800X, 3900X, and 3950X.

Another thing to remember is that as you run your games at a higher resolution, your processor actually does less work, and would actually run a fair bit cooler as it handles less draw calls for frames. If he opted to use a 4k panel and only achieved 60fps, it would be twice as easy on the processor to process half the draw calls, if that makes any sense. With that being said, higher refresh rates will absolutely cause the CPU to run hotter, so those that plan to utilize a 240hz panel will absolutely need to make sure their CPU is not only fast enough to handle the excessive amounts of draw calls, but also cool enough to maintain that clock speed requirement.
    I was thinking about the budget. Side of things. Was all I suppose if the idea is to get another full like 15 years I suppose paying up might be worth it. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99