CPU stuck to heatsink?

I recently got an AMD ryzen 5 3600 and my brother was helping me install it onto the motherboard. We clipped it in and made sure it was secure before putting the fan on it and we forgot the backplate screwed off since it wouldn't fit with the plastic holders originally there. So when we lifted the fan to check the screws the CPU was stuck to the heatsink. Someone on YouTube suggested using a hair blow dryer to heat it up so it'll twist off but I'd rather not blast sensitive tech before getting other advice. If I'm able to get it off will I also need more thermal paste and do you think the CPU was damaged from the fan pulling it off the Mobo? I'm not the most computer literate but I hope this makes sense.

Answers

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Inspect the bottom of the CPU for any bent or missing pins. If all the pins seem fine, you shouldn't have any issues. If there are bent or missing pins, that's a problem. 

This happens sometimes with AMD processors, just have to be a little careful. I personally am a fan of always re-pasting if I remove my CPU cooler, but if the thermal paste seems to be mostly in good shape/consistent you should fine, especially if you only just built it. 
  • TSTonyV said:
    Inspect the bottom of the CPU for any bent or missing pins. If all the pins seem fine, you shouldn't have any issues. If there are bent or missing pins, that's a problem. 

This happens sometimes with AMD processors, just have to be a little careful. I personally am a fan of always re-pasting if I remove my CPU cooler, but if the thermal paste seems to be mostly in good shape/consistent you should fine, especially if you only just built it. 
    I just got it off with some dental floss, it spread the paste around a bit unevenly and on the "ribbing" around the pad if that makes sense. I attempted evening it out which I think worked but the floss did take away some paste. I think I might add a small dab just to be sure it's covered. Pins look nice and straight though so I think it's good. Thanks for the tips!
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Jaci said:
    TSTonyV said:

I just got it off with some dental floss, it spread the paste around a bit unevenly and on the "ribbing" around the pad if that makes sense. I attempted evening it out which I think worked but the floss did take away some paste. I think I might add a small dab just to be sure it's covered. Pins look nice and straight though so I think it's good. Thanks for the tips!
    Of course! Glad the CPU is in good shape. I've heard some horror stories about people's CPU's being ruined when this happens. Enjoy the new build!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99