Ryzen 3700 with 128GB Gskill Ripjaws XMP troubles

Options
I've been experiencing a lot of program crashes and assorted BSODs (5-6 different ones) with the XMP turned on in the BIOS, but I don't experience any issues with it turned off. I'm running AORUS Elite 570x WiFi mobo. I would love to run my memory at 3600, but I'm not having any luck with the preset or increasing the power to ddr (1.40-1.45 range). I don't really want to go through downloading the ram calculator (sketch on downloads) so I'm hoping that someone has had a s imilar issue and a fix to go with it? All help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited August 2020
    Options
    RvDJ said:
    I've been experiencing a lot of program crashes and assorted BSODs (5-6 different ones) with the XMP turned on in the BIOS, but I don't experience any issues with it turned off. I'm running AORUS Elite 570x WiFi mobo. I would love to run my memory at 3600, but I'm not having any luck with the preset or increasing the power to ddr (1.40-1.45 range). I don't really want to go through downloading the ram calculator (sketch on downloads) so I'm hoping that someone has had a s imilar issue and a fix to go with it? All help is greatly appreciated!
    What you are experiencing is instability brought about by using high capacity dual-rank DIMM's in a 2 DIMM's Per Channel (2DPC) configuration. This is causing too much stress on your CPU's memory controller (and possibly board traces depending on topology) which is likely going to inhibit your max stable memory frequency. Getting XMP to work is going to be luck of the draw, as you are already operating outside of AMD's official memory controller speed of 3200, and are going outside of what Gigabyte rates the motherboard at for high capacity 2DPC configurations: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x570-aorus-elite-wifi_matisse_191231_v2.pdf.

In the PDF above, you can see that the fastest 16GB DIMM's in a 4 DIMM (2DPC) configuration is 3300mhz. Now this doesn't mean higher speeds won't work, it just means this is the fastest kit in that configuration that Gigabyte was able to successfully test. What that list does illustrate is that using 4 high-density DIMM's typically yields lower operating frequencies compared to 8GB and 4GB densities.

To get this to work, you'll have to manually adjust various timings and voltage values until you find a combination that your memory controller, memory and motherboard all agree on. The DRAM calculator you are referring to has been pretty hit or miss in my testing, so I would advise using it at your own risk as it may not work for your configuration either. 

For now, you might be better off loading your XMP timing/voltage values, and simply dropping the memory frequency down to 3200 or 3466. This might give you just enough headroom to remain stable, while getting most of the performance out of your kit. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99