Building a computer for Architecture school

Options
Made a rough list for a build to save money on a computer for my architecture studies and I am looking for recommendations on where to go from here. What should I add and what might I not need? Going to be working mostly in Revit, Rhino and other 3D modeling software. The computers they recommend are the Dell Precision Tower 3630 or 5820 or Precision Mobile 7540 (~$1900-$3000). 
Here's my build list so far: 
https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=3aded2dd-0cdb-477a-9cbf-15a0c71b9a7b

Comments

• Also, I would like to keep the budget for the computer itself under $1500 if possible. Thanks!
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Few things to note here:

First, is that the i7-10700k is basically the exact same processor as the 9900K, but you get the benefit of the newer 10th gen Intel platform so I'd swap those around. Does the software you use benefit more from single-thread or multi-thread performance? I was usually under the impression that 3D modeling would be something that likes multi-core more, but this probably varies depending on the software and your exact use case. If you can take advantage of multi-core performance, I'd actually recommend look at the Ryzen 9 3900X vs either of these Intel options, because it's got 12 cores/24 threads and will outperform even a 10900k if you can fully utilize all 12 of its cores. If what you're doing is more single-thread bound, then I'd probably stick with the 10700k. 

Personally speaking I'd also upgrade the power supply to something 80+ gold when you're spending this kind of money. A high quality power supply can last a very long time and their warranties will typically back that up. The EVGA Supernova and Seasonic Focus power supplies are always excellent choices. This isn't an absolute requirement, but I think if you're willing to spend the money on a high-end setup, you should get a high end power supply to match. 

The CPU cooler you chose is also not nearly enough for CPUs like the 9900k or 10700k. That Thermaltaxe UX100 is about the same performance as the stock coolers you'd find on something like the Ryzen 5 or Intel i3 chips.  You need something beefier for processors on the high end. Personally I'd recommed something like the Noctua NH-U14S or NH-D15. With that in mind, here's two builds I put together for comparison:

Intel: https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=9a1ec952-9a48-4133-a60b-69e1c3951e5c
    AMD: https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=7d117590-4a14-4e26-81da-81653b5cc445

The AMD build is a tad bit more expensive than the Intel build, but like I mentioned before, if you can take advantage of the full multi-core performance of the 3900X, the performance gains would definitely be worth it. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99