Thoughts on the parts I chose?

Options
I put this parts list together and am looking for some opinion. My budget is $1500 including tax and build fee (going to choose the $200 one so they install my OS) but I dont mind it going slightly over (Hard cap of budget is $1600 though). I would like to build myself but parents aren't allowing that until I graduate from grad school so that is not negotiable. I also don't really plan on playing much AAA games and only really going to playing Runescape and stream it, also planning on streaming Nintendo switch games too https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=1949d207-384e-463f-8cbf-52c276e5c00f

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    Greetings,
    Seems like a good use of your budget overall. I might go a little higher on the RAM, we like to try to hit 3600 CL16 on Zen 2 if it's affordable to do so. You selected a high quality power supply, a solid processor, and a good GPU that will be fine for the tasks your asking of it. Looks good to me.
  • Mida4
    Options
    Awesome thanks for the feedback! I'm still kind of a newbie when it comes to PC parts but what does increasing RAM from 3200 to 3600 do? And what's the CL mean?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    5 Insightfuls First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options
    @Mida4
    Higher frequency is speed. Higher bandwidth in the case of memory. CL is Latency. CL is short for CAS latency. CL15 is standard on DDR4 and lower is better. So pushing 3000 Mhz or higher you're going to have to 'loosen' it generally. The XMP profiles are going to be 16-18-18-38 (Stock is: 15-15-15-35). It's a trade off, but it's a worthwhile one for most users, including gamer's. You can go lower, but that involves manually overclocking your RAM and you're going to have to have some top shelf IC's to do that. Samsung B-Die, but you'll pay for it. If you can get something rated at 3600 and CL16 like the G.Skill Ripjaw, it's probably Hynix C-Die and that's a good buy.

More on why this matters more so for Zen 2 (AMD 3000 series, excluding the 3200/3400G), is that the core complex design increases memory latency, but you're able to push a higher frequency. 3200 is what you expect from an Intel build, 3600 is generally  easy to hit on AMD. So you an offset that latency difference with increased frequency and memory bandwidth. Now another factor here with AMD are the three clocks you need to be aware of relating to memory. Infinity fabric (fclk), Memory (mclk) and memory controller (uclk). These clocks are synced. This is done automatically by the board up to 3733Mhz, as if you don't sync them, you incur a latency penalty.  So 3600 tends to be that sweet spot, where you're not likely to have to do much besides load the XMP profile and go. And you're getting near the edge of where the infinity fabric clock becomes unstable.

You can of course push these boundaries and experiment, benchmark and see where you get. It's fun to play with. In our lab testing 3833 asynchronous seemed to the wall on memory frequency. I had similar results on my own system. The latency penalty running the clocks asynchronous wasn't worth it in my benchmark results.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99